Trilobite - Dinosaur Gizzard Stones and Unknown Things?

CarGirl

Feb 15, 2016
Frederick, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully this is the right place. This is part of a collection that I inherited from my Mom who inherited it from an elderly lady she took care of that was heavily into archaeology and artifacts in her younger years.

I found two notes with this collection "Trilobite Middle Cambrian Millard County Utah" and "Dinosaur Gizzard Stones"

I know absolutely nothing other than what the notes I found say. :icon_scratch: Any clues? :dontknow:

Here are photos front and back...

Wood-and-Rocks-1.jpg Wood-and-Rocks-2.jpg

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
cool rock collection, two look like petrified wood
and the two kinda crystalized looking ones are either
calcite, or barite, the rest look like jasper.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hah, Dinosaurs swallowed small stones to help digest food the way chickens do today

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But unless you find one (or a pile) in the torso of a dinosaur . . . how would it look different from a river or stream cobble?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't speak to the gizzard stones. They would have had to been found in association with a dino skeleton. The other item, I believe she mixed up trilobite with ammonite. That is a section of ammonite from before they evolved into a tightly coiled form. If you look closely you can see the suture lines. Ammonite.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CarGirl

Feb 15, 2016
Frederick, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't speak to the gizzard stones. They would have had to been found in association with a dino skeleton. The other item, I believe she mixed up trilobite with ammonite. That is a section of ammonite from before they evolved into a tightly coiled form. If you look closely you can see the suture lines. Ammonite.

Not sure but I do have an unopened box labeled dinosaur bones that was in the same inherited collection of things I now very little about.

trfinder

Greenie
Feb 17, 2011
I agree with BIGSCOTT's impression of things.

As far as the gastroliths go, I have a big one that I got from a tricertops excavation, and it does look like a polished river stone. Unless you have pictures of the gastrolith at the site of the excavation, it's just polished gravel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastrolith

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you may have at least ten possible gastroliths in the collection. All gastroliths are not found with their fossilized bones. I have found an area where gastroliths are quite plentiful. This area is where the parent/parents returned from foraging and fed their young by regurgitating the food along with the stones. I have found gastrolith stones that were about an inch in diameter to some that were up to at least three+ inches across. Nice collection.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread