Trinity Washington Ghost Town

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
On the Phelps Creek....Deep in the remote section of Cascades, Chelan County

Before the turn of the century there was prospecting,then placering . A rich vein of copper was found about 5 miles from the present site, and a deep shaft sank about 1900.
The Royal Development Co was formed in 1914 and the towmn was built. A power plant was built along with a mess hall,commissary,rooming houses small houses and cabins....all the main ingredients for a booming town.
Above the power plant was the large mine buildings with the usual amount of tailings ,along with a sawmill and the never ending rails of narrow gauged tracks.

Copper was the mainstay , but silver was frequent enough to pay the actual cost of the mining....80 cents to the ton of ore. As costs went up,returns did not ....the 275 men that ran the operation dwindled until there were none left and production stopped.
Everyone moved except one old man...a Mr Foster who stayed on as watchman. Now he is also gone and the buildings are falling into the ground. Winter snows have crushed many ,dump cars and rails are rusting .

The town was built around 1914 although there had been some mining activity as early as 1900. Copper was the mainstay of the town with some silver as a passing interest. The town had a power plant, a mess hall, a commissary, rooming houses for single miners and homes for married miners and their families and all the other buildings usually found in a mining camp. The town even had a sawmill. There had been about 275 men working in the mines and mill but the number dwindled as operations began to slow down. At last everything stopped and everybody moved away. What is left are rusting ore carts on narrow gauge tracks and buildings that show the affects of heavy winter snowfalls.
Taken from the Book...Ghost Towns of the West by Lambert Florin 1971

I googled this town and found this :
According to Ghosttowns .com
UPDATE:Trinity is CLOSED to the public. I visited on June 24, 2000. After driving nearly 40 miles from the freeway and following numerous signs for Trinity, the road ended with a "private property" sign blocking the road. If you (hypothetically speaking) walk around the sign, you'll only make it a couple of hundred feet before you're stopped by a metal gate with a sign reading "Trinity" at the top. It appears that someone has bought the townsite and fenced it off. It looks like the new owners have put corrugated metal roofs on several of the buildings that are still standing, and have built a new home on the site. New vehicles were parked outside. I have no idea how long the place has been off-limits. I've wanted to visit Trinity for a number of years, and was very disappointed to be thwarted. --Shane Burnett
I would think the the County would have records of who purchased the property and it never hurts to call and find out if hunting would be permitted.
Good Luck
Gypsy

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
DAMN the owners!!

Send a boarding party in.

I wonder if the Feds might want to visit and see what is going on in there.... :D

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, Snap. Another search site gone, they might need a fresh batch of road apples!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread