Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twitch said:
I'm off for trip #2 tomorrow morning. Going to try a different area that I've never been to and have no information. I believe it's going to be a little cold and rainy and I haven't checked the water levels so it may be a bust. We'll see.

Good luck ! We are flooding again. The water table says yes the weather says no?? :icon_scratch:

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
I'm seeing this too late to catch ya but the weather doesn't look too good. A strong weather sysetm is circling over the Mississippi River valley with movement from EAST to west which in our area usually means some pretty heavy rain. Hope you didn't get flooded out, those little rivers down your way get real high real fast.

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Its a bust for me, as the water is up. I think you and archer66 are in my neck of the woods, so we probably are going to encounter the same conditions. I would like to give you guys a little advise if you dont mind. It seems to work for me. As you know we are very close to the Miss. and Mo. rivers. There are thousands of campsites up and down these rivers, but most of my sites off the big rivers are along way away from the rivers, In the bluffs, and high areas that you cant get to with a boat. I have my luck in searching the smaller creeks and rivers that run into the big rivers.
It seems like they camped right along side of these smaller waterways probably because they were not being flooded as much, and they were safer to travel, etc. Because they camped closer to the smaller waterways, I find more artifacts that are washing out of the banks, and many more gravel beds that are exsposed. Good Luck, and if you need any help just let me know. Collinsville show is next weekend, I hope you guys can make it. I always stop by the Cahokia mounds after the show, the mounds and the museum are a site to see, and the show is always excellent. John

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Thanks for the insights above with regards to creek hunting...it really validates what I've been doing on my own hunts. 100 percent of my artifact hunting is done in creeks on foot and in eroded areas at this point in time. Only 1 of the creeks I routinely hunt could be considered "navigable" by any stretch of the imagination and it only by canoe except during flood conditions....and I wouldn't even think of putting in on it during a flood. What I am struggling with is finding campsites. The main reason for that is I have no tilled fields to hunt. The result is that my finds are all out of context which keeps me from finding more than a few at a time and most importantly keeps me from learning much about those that left them behind. I know the way to remedy that is to find some exposed ground to hunt....I just haven't been able to get myself to go knocking on doors for permission. YET!!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
John - Thanks for the advice, I'll take all I can get! The part that's hard for me is that I learned to hunt along the Ohio, Tennessee and Cumberland rivers and the bottoms off of them. I have a lot to learn about smaller rivers and creeks. I'll stop by if I can find you next weekend and pick your brain.

So Trip #2 was like a walk in baseball, it doesn't go into the books because I never got out of the truck. The river pool I wanted to hunt was too high which ended up not mattering because I couldn't find a boat ramp anyways. Yesterday I managed to find a ramp and when the water drops I'll take a trip to see what there is to see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread