🥇 BANNER Trip to S.C. = 1853 Longacre "Type I" Liberty Head Gold Dollar!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trip to S.C. = 1853 Longacre "Type I" Liberty Head Gold Dollar!

What's up guys :wink: Just got back from a visit to see my mother, and brothers and sister down in South Carolina. While there, I did some research and found an old Confederate camp that was used to hold Yankee prisoners for about six months. The place is near my parents property and is overgrown with brush and woods now. On Friday I went out there to look around very late in the afternoon. After locating what looked like the breastworks and rifle-pits that would've surrounded it I dropped my
coil and within 5 minutes found a decent Eagle Button and that was all the evidence that I needed, the smoking gun so to speak, and secured my appointment to go back the next afternoon. Here's the video below about 2 hours into the dig and starts with me digging out the hole:

Second video after I took a few minutes to collect myself:

Needless to say I was stunned when that popped out. It was the LAST thing in the World that I would've expected to see come out. This camp was erected late in the war and most Confederate soldiers would not have had access to U.S. Gold coins like this. I believe that this was a Gold coin that was somehow hidden by a Northern soldier to keep until he was released or to use to bargain for goods. A U.S. Gold Dollar could by ALOT in the late war Confederacy and that soldier knew it. He could've used it to barter for foodstuffs (potatoes, bread, etc) really just about anything. He either buried it or lost it but I'm pretty sure it was probably lost because you just didn't bury something like gold and not recover it, unless of course that soldier died or was moved so abruptly that there WAS no time to recover it.
My brother was with me behind the camera and was amazed and he got alittle mad because he didn't find much (he wasn't over the learning curve quite yet with the Ace 250 w/ 10x14 Excelerator Coil). This Dollar was the most minted of the years but is in great condition. According to PCGS the high points are the hair near the coronet and the points of the leaves on the reverse and there's very little to no wear. Comparing it to the PCGS photos of this coin, it grades in the higher AU range. If it had been a "D" or "C" worth more but just to dig a Civil War era Gold coin is a very rare and exhilarating find indeed and something I won't ever forget! Thanks for looking :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Photos (Uncleaned)

1853 Dollar (7).JPG

1853 Dollar (1).JPG

1853 Dollar (11).JPG

Photos (Rinsed with alittle water)

1853 Dollar (9)ed.jpg

1853 Dollar (2)ed.jpg

1853 Dollar (3).JPG

Upvote 0

MSRelic

Feb 18, 2010
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, Etrac
Re: Trip to S.C. = 1853 Longacre "Type I" Liberty Head Gold Dollar!

Only thing I can add is my congratulations and my vote. Well done.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a FANTASTIC find Sentinel. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My vote for the banner is in.
Good work my friend.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome, awesome find. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deepdiger60 said:
That is a great coin :icon_thumleft: beautiful in good shape , one that is always on anyone,s list show the Eagle button also . Real good hunt Banner find !! :thumbsup: Dd60

Here you Go DD:

The Eagle button I found also (Still Dirty)

MD Pics 696.jpg

MD Pics 697.jpg

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

Nice!!! Banner.. again!! ;-)

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Every time one of us Yanks digs a colonial copper, someone on the West Coast says something like "you guys out east find all the good OLD stuff". What they forget is that we rarely dig any gold coins on the Eastern Seaboard, but you did!!!!

Truly an amazing find, especially in the eastern half of the nation!

Congratulations!!!

Jerry1NJ

Oct 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray pinpointer, Minelab CTX3030

Great find on the gold coin!!!! :thumbsup:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is good to see that there a few of those to be dug down south. Big congrats on your banner find!!

MauserMan

Jun 7, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
BH Tiv

Congrats on the amazing coin! I vote banner.

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro

:icon_thumright:

Beautiful gold coin...... Just think of the finds if that location was cleared off a little & you could swing the coil a bit easier.... course you might have just pulled out the best find of the area cleared or not.......wow banner vote fur sure

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
:D you must be running out of that wish list, time to right a new one :headbang:

Been unable to hit a gold coin this year, I still hold out hope but even over here they are a red letter day :icon_thumright: :hello2:

Yeah, the wish list is getting pretty small but there's still some stuff out there that I'd like to see pop out of the dirt! ;D :icon_thumleft: :wink: Thanks Cru

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
That's a great day Josh. never found a gold coin.
Chris

Thanks Chris :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Antiquarian said:
Absolutely one of the best gold finds that I've seen in a long time :headbang:
Loved the video of you finding it as well, did you find anymore gold while you were there! :o
Banner vote is in!

Thanks Antiquarian, I've got to say, there's no feeling quite like it, digging a gold coin: pure adrenaline! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :wink:

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
AWESOME MAN! lol your reaction was like mine when i dug the GW button :laughing9: that's incredible and very happy for ya!
ya got my BANNER vote!

Yeah dude, I was BLOWN AWAY when I pinpointed that sucker and picked it up and saw that rich yellow :o :o! :D :icon_thumleft:

DigginThePast said:
Outstanding find! :thumbsup: 1.67 grams and 13mm = tough to find.

Would look great on the Banner! :icon_thumright:

Thanks DTP! I think that pic of it really shiny yellow would be an eye catcher for sure :icon_thumleft:

TnMountains said:
What a great find. That thing came out of the ground screaming. Fantastic coin and research. Hope your finds can continue and thanks for sharing.
TnMtns
Thanks TnMountains!

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dude that was awsome , you got my banner vote . I tell you what if that had been I wouldnt have just said crap I'd have needed new drawers lol. absolutly stunning man you rock , you better hunt that as much as you can before you gotta leave ,

once again awsome find HH Tank :icon_thumleft:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

congrats on a nice gold coin!!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

KyFreeBird

Mar 21, 2009

:icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!! Love te Gold !!!!!!!!! B A N N E R All the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stunning find and banner all day long! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
A hefty congradulations!

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go on keeping a phenomenal year of finds on a roll Josh! The $1 gold coin is a tough coin to find. I still have that and the 2 1/2 and 10 to find. Like Neal from WJ said we dig a lot more gold coins out here but the $1 is still a tough coin to find. If you look at the track record of the ones that are found they usually are found in CW sites, pre CW sites, and an occasional one shows up now and then in the gold rush camps.

Congrats again! Looking forward to seeing it up on the banner!!
IM

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000

She is Beautiful ! Congrats ! How cool is that to get it on Video ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions