63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First there was honey then there was sugar but your little setup is Sweet! Thank you for braving the winter and showing us a bit of gold recovery and the tapping the pan demo was great. Sigh, if I only lived close enough to do the same thing....63bkpkr

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little setup Hurthawk. Wish I had that much water running in my area, just a couple trickles right now, hoping to have enough to run a backpack sized sluice in the coming weeks and months

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's sure a fun little rig you've built there! Nicely done, and it catches the gold too. Thanks for making the video and for taking the time to post it.

All the best,

Lanny

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video, your always doing cool stuff, though if your in a a test phase i would be catchin the stuff @ the runoff to check later ! Whose knows what your losin.

johnnysau

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like it, thats a pretty awesome setup. :)
Thanks for posting the video.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rick,
Great tip on the bedliner. I made a single one like that. I just used gloss Krylon. I tried one with a dovetail bit as well and it didn't seem to make any difference. I must have copied Cal Sluice. What I found is most if not all the gold is caught in the first drop riffle. Did you look to see if any gold was caught in the lower traps?
LL&P
C-dad

OP
OP
H

hurthawk

Jan 16, 2008
Tuolumne county Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Falcon MD20
Garrett 1500
Fisher F2
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Rick,
Great tip on the bedliner. I made a single one like that. I just used gloss Krylon. I tried one with a dovetail bit as well and it didn't seem to make any difference. I must have copied Cal Sluice. What I found is most if not all the gold is caught in the first drop riffle. Did you look to see if any gold was caught in the lower traps?
LL&P
C-dad

I did see some in the second riffle. I plan to overfeed it and see what catches further down. I also intend to run unclassified through it and check the output materials
Rick

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you get an idea that needs to be constructed I'd be glad to help. I've got lots of material and a well enough equipped shop.

If (when) I make another it will have a longer slick plate surface and be made so it joins easily with aluminum sluice.

C-dad

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea,there shouldnt be any need for the whole length to have riffles.I mentioned on the other forum the true Long Toms,riffle box was only about 24",in length,and they shoveled continuously into the trough.The length gave the gold the chance to settle ot,by the time it got to the classifyer,then to the riffles.
Anxious to see how overloading it does,it should serve purpose there

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hurthawk, I would really like to see you intentionally over load the sluice and see what happens. Remember a catch pan at the bottom. I am curious, because I have just a couple trickles of water in my area, and a wider sluice isn't an option for me. So I am looking at the backpack size 7"- wide from calsluice, and angus...
Great video, and thanks

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you sure sell a lot of California Sluices for these guys, I hope they're paying you because I just can't understand why people even think about buying them myself :BangHead:
After Rodney's experience with the California Junior Sluice vs the South Yuba we had, he was choked up so bad after he saw the 80% gold loss caught in the regular carpeted sluice we put behind it, that he sold it and seeing the gold we were all getting before we put a sluice behind his just ruined his weekend. I mean Keene, Proline, Gold King, Jobe, Angus, Letrap Thomas Creek, EzSluice, etc, all work fine. But when we saw these California Sluices at Pioneer Mining, Frank & I just shook our heads. Drop riffles are great, I make them myself but I'm far from sold on the California Junior Sluice. I've never used the full sized unit I admit but that's just not needed for me.
Here's the catcher, the only reason that Rodney bought this box was because he saw your videos on YouTube and bought first instead of talking to anyone else before pouring out over $1000.00 for the complete mini highbanker set up. Honestly, there are sluices that require classification first & then there are sluices that run fine without. It really depends on the area. I'd really like to see a video of the riffles dancing with material first and then show a measured test vial of fine gold being poured into it. Then measure the amount caught in each riffle and so on. All that I could see in this video were riffles that looked clogged. The gold at the end was nice but I'm talking about a -50 and smaller test with everything classified to ¼ or ½" or whatever you prefer. For a small sluice for low water I usually tell everyone to get the EzSluice or the Keene A51A, which are still my favorites for low flow areas, but they call me old school as well :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread