Trolling motor blower?

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at some of the underwater scooters/torpedos and most of them have around 54 pounds of thrust and a battery that last MAYBE an hour.

I was thinking take a trolling motor and make your own...a five gallon bucket for directionial purpose, somehow rig the shaft with an on off switch so you dont need the gear box head, then run a longer chord. 10 feet of water below the boat and you could sit there and blow sand like a happy champ (granted you anchor yourself somehow)

any thoughts on this idea? seems cheap and feasible and one that might actually work?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever been on a boat? I've never anything without $$$$ GPS controlled multi-way bow and aft thrusters be able to hold in one place. Boats swing back and forth and around in circle on the anchor chain. Your cheapest and feasible alternative is to buy one of those SeeDoo scooter toys and some extra batteries for it.

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been on a lot of boats..no need to be disrespectful.
Everything always has an alternative method and I was just spitballing ideas.

You are more than welcome to go broke doing something you do not need too. In the end, whether it be a Bentley or a Nova...it all gets you to the same place, one might be a little faster and look better, but its still the same place.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at some of the underwater scooters/torpedos and most of them have around 54 pounds of thrust and a battery that last MAYBE an hour.

I was thinking take a trolling motor and make your own...a five gallon bucket for directionial purpose, somehow rig the shaft with an on off switch so you dont need the gear box head, then run a longer chord. 10 feet of water below the boat and you could sit there and blow sand like a happy champ (granted you anchor yourself somehow)

any thoughts on this idea? seems cheap and feasible and one that might actually work?

Actually, since you brought it up.......there is a very easy way to do what you're thinking about, and it would work. Could even apply different attachments for a wider or narrower flush. Think of a hand-held dredge, only pushing instead of sucking....a little visit to the metal fabricating shop and a bit of aluminum tube and you're ready to go with a bit of wiring.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
hand held blower

Cornelius has a practical design for one he built. Maybe he'll post it again for you.
Aquanut

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been on a lot of boats..no need to be disrespectful.
Everything always has an alternative method and I was just spitballing ideas.

You are more than welcome to go broke doing something you do not need too. In the end, whether it be a Bentley or a Nova...it all gets you to the same place, one might be a little faster and look better, but its still the same place.

No disrespect, it was an honest question.

Bigscoop has a great point, you could use a gold dredge motor and pump and would only need a single pressure hose with a cutoff valve. It's amazing what a water jet can move, even a garden hose on a "y" off the pressure hose, constricted down to 1/4 inch tip can cut and move a lot of packed sand and rock! It could be a bear to hold in place using just the straight pressure hose but it would move serious sand!

Another consideration with the dredge motor is to also use the dredge "jet log". You could just achor the discharge down current and suck out sand with a 4 / 6 / 8 inch hose.

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent pete a messag regarding that. I really like that idea a whole lot.
Keep in mind, Im just graduating college and dont have a ton of money to blow on huge operations. Im trying to be efficient and cheap and im working in SUPER shallow water. Which is why Im thinkin that would be perfect..

Jason: I like that idea, Im not too fond of dredges though. The idea of a water jet is more of what I am looking for. Except I dont really want to buy a water pump haha Im thinkin about it but not sure. Spitballing ideas. If helped build a few docks in my day and those water jets can move 8+ plus of sand to stick a huge piling in.

Bigscoop: I just messaged you back but can you include specific on how to go about doing that? I left my engineering degree in my other pants, currently wearing my geology degree ones haha

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I'm telling you and this for the last time. Cornelius designed one you can afford to build and it works! It provides the thrust you need while counteracting with the suction while blowing. It then can also be used as a scooter. You really should get in touch with him.
Aquanut

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aquanut, I will get on that. Headed to class then shootin him a message. Thank ya :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread