Trommel Designs

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a situation where the oversized rocks are being cleaned sufficiently, but the fines need further washed (think dirty clay material) does a separate smaller reverse spiral drum for the fines have any advantage over just using a longer scrubber drum?

You don't see the separate reverse spiral drum used very often..so I'm wondering if it has its place or not. Obviously it's more moving parts but less wear and tear on the scrubber drum.

I'm kind of thinking if the heavier clay isn't broke up well enough in the main scrubber, it will just have the tendency to ball up in the spiral.

I'm not talking about a micro trommel (no shovel or 5 gal buckets involved).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A trommel is a type of autogenous mill. In autogenic milling the larger pieces of ore help break down the smaller pieces of ore.

It's sort of like a ball mill with rocks instead of steel balls doing the work. Surprisingly autogenous milling is most effective at abrading the smaller particles rather than working by impact. You want the material to mostly slide and tumble only slightly. That will clean off the smaller rocks and break down the clays much more effectively than removing the larger rock and processing your smalls separately.

Autogenous milling is used extensively in the mineral processing industry and is a well understood process, Leave the larger rock in the trommel as long as you can without overloading to get your most effective recovery. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Without adding a second trommel, you can add a minor reverse helix inside your existing trommel. This would work the rocks toward the feed end and retain them in the trommel longer, allowing them to clean the fines

MULTOTEC-TROMMEL-SCREENS-PIC-02.jpg

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can get it to fully wash and break up the material by feeding it slower and holding the material back longer in the scrubber drum..problem is, I want to increase the production rate.

I think the scrubber drum would have to be longer.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seems to me that the pitch of the drum effects the drum load and the retention time. Maybe changing the pitch is part of your solution(?).

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A prewash shaker deck before the trommel should speed things up :icon_thumright:

GG~

Yup, but that's outside the budget and scope.

Conveyors would be awesome too.

I was just wondering if the smaller separate reverse spiral drum is something people are using to increase the washing of the fines. Seems advantageous due to the ability to adjust the RPM independently and less time between blurbs of material.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Spotted this guy years ago in a yard in Hayfork, thought it was a neat set up, looked like a shaker hopper to big trommel to smaller trommel.

IMG_2222h.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread