OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: Troubleshoot my Harley Fatboy

NHbenz said:
Jim, once you get it going you've gotta' check out the voltage at the battery. Make sure it's not putting out excessive voltage to the battery, overcharging the battery (bad regulator). Anything above 14.5V is bad.

Gotcha... I'll be checking it as soon as I can take the time to sit and focus with my meter in hand.

P

pippinwhitepaws

:sign10:

it's always the loose nut behind the wheel.

hey, i backed over an outhouse.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Besides checking/cleaning/tightening the terminals previously mentioned, you might try doing the same to the battery terminals themselves (that is, if you haven't already). Loose battery terminals have caused me problems which is why I carry a 10mm wrench everywhere I ride.

TBGO

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

Every make and model of car has a Hayne manual. Do they have the same thing for motorcycles? I get mine at AutoZone. You could ask them or check their website. They take a new vehicle and disassemble it and take lots of pictures and describe where all the parts are and how to check them. They would show you how to get at your ignition thingy that confused you and all the other thingies in the electrical system. regards, siegfried schlagrule

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Montana Jim said:
NHbenz said:
Jim, once you get it going you've gotta' check out the voltage at the battery. Make sure it's not putting out excessive voltage to the battery, overcharging the battery (bad regulator). Anything above 14.5V is bad.

Gotcha... I'll be checking it as soon as I can take the time to sit and focus with my meter in hand.
If you started up while charging there may have been a bad read by the system blowing the over-voltage protection circuitry, not sure if it's all electronic or if there's a mechanical relay, but as NHbenz said, you'll need to know what the system is seeing first. Then get over to one of the Harley forums and see who else has seen this problem or very similar symptoms.
Does your charger have a specified V-out?

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO

I don't think you killed her,Jim, but it's possible being she is a FatBoy girl and she hasn't been getting any exersize all winter she may be pre-diabetic obese. Try a loaner battery from a friend thats charged or heres as farfetched as I can get...I had a 55 ford once that got the battery completly dead and I hooked up a charger on the wrong posts, It actually charged the battery up backwards and caused me much problem until a "shade-tree" machanic touched a wire to the right terminals on the regulator. Re-polarizing he called it. Saved me the $100 plus the ford garage wanted for a new battery and generator, Their diagnosis. Let us know what finally fixes her.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jim you there?

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet

Turning the key to start position with a battery charger hooked up can cause all sorts of problems with any ignition system. Most common might be a blown fuseable link on the wire to the starter. Another problem could be a blown diode of some sort in the system. If the system is as computerized electronically as todays' cars, it could be a "brainbox" of sorts that's blown out.
I'd check and clean all connections including the solenoid. also check for a fuse on the ignition wire from the solenoid to the key switch. (always happens right there on my lawn mower) Also you can try jumping the solenoid : Key on: short the input side to the output side. If the starter cranks, you have a bad solenoid.

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

aa battery said:
jim you there?

I'm here... can't stay...

I appreciate ALL the advice and hope to get a moment this comming week to dive into it. Please, if you have advice feel free to keep posting! :thumbsup:

Thanks all!

I have life drama to get to now... be back later!

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006
!!!

Check for a solonoid problem at the starter. Also, you may have fried the starter relay, assuming it has one.

Do you get a clicking noise when you push the start button? Find the click, that's the relay.

I'd make sure the battery was good at this point too, if it's surging, you'll be replacing both of the above in short order. Good luck!!

BTW- It's a Harley..... the fun is in the fixin', and they're about 80% fun. ;D

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: !!!

Bassfish said:
Check for a solonoid problem at the starter. Also, you may have fried the starter relay, assuming it has one.

Do you get a clicking noise when you push the start button? Find the click, that's the relay.

I'd make sure the battery was good at this point too, if it's surging, you'll be replacing both of the above in short order. Good luck!!

BTW- It's a Harley..... the fun is in the fixin', and they're about 80% fun. ;D

7 years old and a trip to PA from MT and back... zero issues. This is the first real WTF.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

get a ricer :icon_sunny:
I'll go stand in the corner now :violent1:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Glad you got her fixed Jim (and I won't say I told you so...ooops ::) ) :thumbsup: :icon_sunny: :icon_pirat:

Happy Riding,
Beep

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions