Troy Shadow X-3 Questions

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rather similar to the beep and dig Tesoro's but the 3 and the 5 were made by Fisher so have better build quality.

You have to balance this against the fact that Troy is no longer making the machines and Fisher were taken over by First Texas so if you want a battery cover, coil, coil cover etc you might end up stuck.

They don't handle bad mineralisation well. The discrimination range at the lower end is to narrow. To get the best from the machine (and its big brother the X5) you really should have at least the web coil to go with the small standard concentric.

I would check if Troy is still offering a repair service. If not why not go for a similar Tesoro and have a lifetime warranty.

Re the discrimination it has not got the colour of tone so helpful with some other machines. If its cheap and works to spec. then it could be a good buy but I would not want one as an only detector.

Goodrat

Jun 23, 2010
It is all I've use for years in South FL.
I can disc out those bottle caps easily.
A quarter will air test at 14 inches easy.
Nickel at 12 inches.

DavyJonesLocker

Apr 26, 2010
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I just got my hands on a mint Troy Shadow X3 took it out for first time 8-21-10.Had it set on 3 Disc Sens 8 was digging up to much trash.Set it to 5 Disc 5 Sens dug up a penny,a token,a quarter,and one silver ring ? my first. Sens. at 8 it was falsing. I was working it under high tension electrical wires no problem and in VA soil.PS some of the trash was deep.It works similar to my Fisher 1236x2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread