California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earlier today I read in a treasure magazine, a fellow detectorist's machine said, "silver dollar", and turned out to be a half and two quarters, all silver...!!

So, being inspired by that, I went detecting at a nearby park, my machine said "wheat penny", and wouldn't budge from it's verdict - so, I dug it..., and it was TWO wheat pennies!
My motto: Trust Your Detector!
...after all, that's it's job, to tell us what's down there,​
give or take a few cents...! :laughing7:

Upvote 8

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a pretty fancy detector you have that knows a wheat penny over a copper memorial!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a pretty fancy detector you have that knows a wheat penny over a copper memorial!

Heck! Your ATP can tell ya that! A wheat penny will ring higher than a zincoln, higher pure copper content. ;)

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier today I read in a treasure magazine, a fellow detectorist's machine said, "silver dollar", and turned out to be a half and two quarters, all silver...!!

So, being inspired by that, I went detecting at a nearby park, my machine said "wheat penny", and wouldn't budge from it's verdict - so, I dug it..., and it was TWO wheat pennies!
My motto: Trust Your Detector!
...after all, that's it's job, to tell us what's down there,​
give or take a few cents...! :laughing7:

Yep, it just calls 'em as it sees 'em. ;)

I once called my shot after listening to what the detector said and I said, silver? No, nickel? No, kind of a half hit. I shrugged and dug up a silver war nickel, that, had been cut in half by a lawnmower! LOL

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well - a "zincoln" has no copper...save for the plating- though -a 1970s penny should ring the same as a 1950s one

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well - a "zincoln" has no copper...save for the plating- though -a 1970s penny should ring the same as a 1950s one

Don't know about other machines but I've noticed the AT-Pro will tend to read up to around 80 for a deeper wheat cent. Other pennies, just won't get above 76-7 for me.
I've been calling the shots for a while and this has been pretty consistent. Have to listen and watch closely though, because a deep 81 is usually a dime hit. A wheatie, well I give it a few swipes and it might start around 76 but if I get the angle right, it'll get up to 80.

That's my tip for the day, use what ya can and just throw the rest away. ;) LOL

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wheats and pre Zincoln coppers have the exact same composition. Maybe a bigger halo being in the ground longer but they are made of the same copper.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wheats and pre Zincoln coppers have the exact same composition. Maybe a bigger halo being in the ground longer but they are made of the same copper.

Yep they do. I'm only saying what I've learned. Be it, the composition, the soil, the length of time, or the vibrations from the 747's fly over. It's a consistency I have identified and am able to repeat. At least, for me. ;)

Thanks!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now you motivated me to return to a school and dig the signal I didn't have time to dig that read dollar, & I was thinking can lid! Congrats on your nice finds!

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was thinking almost the same thing except Ive never had a detector tell me what something is. I'd love to have a detector tell me "hey buddy, thats a wheat penny, dig it ya simp". Maybe someday.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now you motivated me to return to a school and dig the signal I didn't have time to dig that read dollar, & I was thinking can lid! Congrats on your nice finds!

Let me tell you about one "trashcan lid" hit I got many years ago. I was going along and it almost knocked my headphones off my head! I skipped it, then came back, then shrugged and said naaaaah! Then came back to it, finally, it won, I dug. About an inch down? The single largest Coast Guard Graduation ring I EVER saw! AND, it was SOLID! Also 18 kt gold! Looked like a solid ball of gold with a hole drilled thru for the finger.

So, now, about that can lid hit??? Gonna go back? If not, let me know where it is, PLEASE!!! ;)

Last edited:

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me tell you about one "trashcan lid" hit I got many years ago. I was going along and it almost knocked my headphones off my head! I skipped it, then came back, then shrugged and said naaaaah! Then came back to it, finally, it won, I dug. About an inch down? The single largest Coast Guard Graduation ring I EVER saw! AND, it was SOLID! Also 18 kt gold! Looked like a solid ball of gold with a hole drilled thru for the finger.

So, now, about that can lid hit??? Gonna go back? If not, let me know where it is, PLEASE!!! ;)

Have a buddy one here, not going to mention his name because I didn't ask his permission but he found a show and tell silver dollar. Just never know in a school yard. How many kids do you think are walking around the school yard with cans of soda or beer? Not too many.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know about other machines but I've noticed the AT-Pro will tend to read up to around 80 for a deeper wheat cent. Other pennies, just won't get above 76-7 for me.
I've been calling the shots for a while and this has been pretty consistent. Have to listen and watch closely though, because a deep 81 is usually a dime hit. A wheatie, well I give it a few swipes and it might start around 76 but if I get the angle right, it'll get up to 80.

That's my tip for the day, use what ya can and just throw the rest away. ;) LOL

Im guessing it soil types, but my numbers are all about 2 Higher for everythign you stated...My wheats are always 78-81....and my dimes are 82-84....and quarters can range from 85-90...depending on depth

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my MXT say 50ยข before and it is 2 quarters. Conversely, I've had it say 50ยข before and it be a big piece of garbage.

Jul 17, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt and Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My White's MXT will display and slightly higher VDI number for older pennies.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forget that & trust your ears

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
forget that & trust your ears

Better than that, just trust your eyes once you dug the target! I've had scratchy 'bottle cap' signals turn out to be gold rings. The only way to know for sure is to dig it up!

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the zinc pennies ring in at 78-79, usually 79
wheat cents 80-81, usually 81 on my GB-Pro

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
interactive detector should be coming too, someday. There's one now with GPS..., so......!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread