rdawg14

Aug 13, 2012
NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

I have always collected herkimer diamonds but recently decided I want to start collecting and investing in semi-precious, precious gemstones and other minerals. What are some good, trusted websites I can purchase from?

I would love to mine them myself somewhere but the only thing in my area is herks, and a low quality garnet mine a few hours north. So until I have funds and time, buying is the only way.

Thanks!

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Herkimer's are really neat specimens and can make some excellent faceted jewels as well. Many collectors prefer them on their host rock as specimens. Many vendors specialize in certain stones in particular; some sell quite a variety. What are your interests of stones? -Luke

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rdawg14

Aug 13, 2012
NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herkimer's are really neat specimens and can make some excellent faceted jewels as well. Many collectors prefer them on their host rock as specimens. Many vendors specialize in certain stones in particular; some sell quite a variety. What are your interests of stones? -Luke

Yes they are quite amazing! The double termination is what really makes them beautiful IMO. As far as stones I am interested in... obviously herks, anything gem quality pretty much. I really like garnets, amethyst, Iolite, peridot, and of course sapphire, ruby, and emerald. I would have to say my absolute favorites are tanzanite and opal. Black opal specifically. All I have right now is herks and amythyst along with some other common minerals.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Depending on where you are in N.Y., there are many gem-quality finds up in west Connecticut and the northeast; primarily Beryl. You could do some of your own digging up that way. There are some reputable Black Opal dealers around.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Investing in gems can be a tricky thing, read up about it first. Usually it can be tricky to sell unless you have some know-how.

Collecting though is no problem.
If you still want to consider either, first of all stay clear of most native cut gems.
Buy custom faceted gems. It's harder to go wrong when buying from a small company or directly from a faceter, like myself . They also look better IMO. (But I'm biased) :occasion14:

Remember: if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Investing in gems can be a tricky thing, read up about it first. Usually it can be tricky to sell unless you have some know-how.

Collecting though is no problem.
If you still want to consider either, first of all stay clear of most native cut gems.
Buy custom faceted gems. It's harder to go wrong when buying from a small company or directly from a faceter, like myself . They also look better IMO. (But I'm biased) :occasion14:

Remember: if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

This is some sage advice, I assure you.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Native cut gems, could you explain the term?

Native cut, or commercially cut stones are cheap and poorly cut stones. Often cut with large "windows".

Before you ask, a "window" is often seen in the middle of the stone, you can see right through it. (just like a normal window)
It's considered poor cutting. Like this:

A "optimal" stone, table up, should not display that.Like this Zircon:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, not to toot my own horn, but I sell rough gems & specimens, benitoite, red beryl, boulder opal, beryls, tourmalines and more. My advice is to avoid anything from Asia unless you can physically hold them and inspect them. Often times dealers from that part of the world will use photoshop to make their stones/rough appear much nicer than they are. Additionally, never buy a cut stone, as EU pointed out, unless you have some credible certification of it. When I see that stuff being cut & sold out of Thailand I just shake my head. These gems are probably fake, lab created, or poorly cut and the majority of people have no idea. The flip side is most dealers have their rough cut in Thailand.

The nice thing about rough stones though is you have a both a specimen and material to cut into gems. It's a win win. Both have value, but a nicely cut gem can multiply your investment several times.

Lastly, unloading the material. This is the biggest challenge. Certain material, say benitoite, red beryl, etc. is easy to unload and make a profit because the material is so extremely rare, but tourmaline is much more difficult. I personally love tourmaline because of it's wide range of colors, but it's being dug up in Brazil, Asia, and Africa in such large quantities lately that the price is really low. It's very hard to move unless it's a full blown watermelon.

Lastly, lastly, be sure the minerals you are interested in can also be faceted into gems. Forget wulfenite, calcites, etc. Those are nice specimens, but that is all they will be. You won't be cutting most of them into gems. There are some exceptions for cabochons. Be careful of agates too. They are amazing material and cut fantastic cabochons, but they are as common as wood.

Join a local rock & gem club and learn, learn, learn. Become specialized in a few minerals and you will do fine from an investment standpoint. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd sayfor a newbie it is a whole lot more difficult assessing and evaluating rough vs cut. Go for cut stones from credible sources.
Going for rough would need a whole lot more knowledge, which generally a newbie doesn't have.
Of course you could buy rough from a cutter, since a cutter rarely buys rough not worth cutting! LOL

As for tourmaline, "good" stones for faceting have doubled since a few years back. Prices are going UP.
If I had known that when I started faceting I would have hoarded it.

I find the advice on calcite good though, some gems are more a "collectors" treat, like sphalerite. To soft for jewellery generally speaking they can be much more tricky to sell.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread