Truth in advertising? Talk to the Hand!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Kiros32 and I killed ourselves on Friday digging what we hoped would be a mid 1800's privy. We were digging through some very soft, dry soil when we game to a sand/gravel layer. We're not fully convinced that we missed the privy, so we'll go back and have another go at it sometime. Today, we chose a site where the privies are known and we've done 4 already. There were two candidates to pick from, given the telltale depressions in the ground, so we got started. We figured out before too long that Kiros was into an old leech field, so we covered that up and focused on the hole I was digging. Before long, I found this bottle that once held a product developed or hawked by Dr. D.B. Hand of Scranton, PA; I'm sure Joe Biden remembers him. That remained the only find for a while, until Kiros32 was taking another turn in the hole. We were pleased with Dr. Hand, but Kiros32 found a bottle that was even better! Among other identifiers, which Kiros32 has pledged to provide pictures of, the product inside was once called One Minute Cough Cure. Both bottles had an aqua tint to them, and they were the only finds in a very small privy. As I said, we battled hard on Friday for no reward, so two nice keepers today was very satisfying!

Attachments

• drhand 001 (Small).jpg
    drhand 001 (Small).jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 214
  • drhand 002 (Small).jpg
    drhand 002 (Small).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 206
  • drhand 003 (Small).jpg
    drhand 003 (Small).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 207
  • drhand 004 (Small).jpg
    drhand 004 (Small).jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 216

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Well, the two bottles in this thread - yours and mine - I would guesstimate at about TOC plus or minus five years. I can speak more confidently about my bottle than about yours, of course.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice finds, few but nice.. You will get more I am sure about that. I would say 1890's...but a random gueastimate for sure! :tongue3: jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread