TRX talk

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toward the back of the TRX book they have a mention of scanning with your main detector then use the TRX aimed strait down to super locate (pinpoint) the exact location of the target provided it is with in its sensing distance. I do this a lot and seldom use the pinpoint feature on my main detector. The targets that have been in the ground for a period of time have already se up a ha-lo, which essentially makes them appear larger to a detector. The TRX set to default should easily see targets that are coin size 3 to 6 inches down into the undisturbed soil. I tried this with the TRX and I went one step further and once I super located I would hit the ratchet feature and this set pointer to that distance and reduced the chance of over sensing prior to the recovery. Things seemed to go very well using this method. New users pls give it a try and let us know if it also works for you.:thumb_up:

Upvote 0

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toward the back of the TRX book they have a mention of scanning with your main detector then use the TRX aimed strait down to super locate (pinpoint) the exact location of the target provided it is with in its sensing distance. I do this a lot and seldom use the pinpoint feature on my main detector. The targets that have been in the ground for a period of time have already se up a ha-lo, which essentially makes them appear larger to a detector. The TRX set to default should easily see targets that are coin size 3 to 6 inches down into the undisturbed soil. I tried this with the TRX and I went one step further and once I super located I would hit the ratchet feature and this set pointer to that distance and reduced the chance of over sensing prior to the recovery. Things seemed to go very well using this method. New users pls give it a try and let us know if it also works for you.:thumb_up:

This is why I bought this. When a target is only 3 or inches down, I want to be able to pin point it and lean how to "Pop" the target with a prob (screw driver) rather than digging a plug. Seem it would be much faster and cleaner in soft soil or turf. Hope to get out tomorrow and try out the shooter coil and TRX together, my arm is very excited about swinging the MD with the tiny coil!

shooter.jpg

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'air" That is not only a toy but a tiny toy. It should be a very good partner with the TRX. Those treasures hidden in between the chaff will have a hard time hiding now and become a little easier to find. I also use a small coil on my base detector and the weight reduction also was a big help. When those hidden targets are found that are also associated with close surrounding junk then you will very quickly see how the TRX's ratchet settings become a blessing that allows for a easy recovery.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're going to love that coil in trashy areas. Within the limitations imposed by the small size, that coil is a gem. I mentally pick a small area at a time, cover it SLOWLY and hunt persistently and usually have very good results. You will need to slow your swing down and mentally be thinking of covering a smaller area thoroughly rather than quickly, but it will pay off.
luvsdux

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will need to slow your swing down and mentally be thinking of covering a smaller area thoroughly rather than quickly, but it will pay off.
luvsdux
Yes it is going to be interesting.. won't get much exercise, more standing still than moving along. I have a set of metal bleachers I want to work under and a fence line in front as I pulled a huge amount of clad from the ground directly behind them but could not get under them at all with the stock spider. Will be good wet soft ground to get used to the TRX and lean to pop coins as well!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Used the TRX for 6 hours today and I'm very impressed. The ratcheting feature is very cool and so easy to use. No false signals at all and max depth was about 4 inches on coins that have been in the ground a while. No more beeping when you touch the tip in soil! So far the Garrett is now my backup pointer.

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from a couple of hours. bottle cap at 5" in sloppy wet ground. If this thing had a VID screen you could just crawl around and have a blast! Could never live without this now.

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well it looks like that fever I have is contagious Two more dirtdiggers have caught it. I had three hours of fun myself and the Vulcan is secondary and the TRX is now primary. Original batteries still holding and I am getting near 20 hours.

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen elsewhere some discussion about super tuning “nickel trick” of the TRX and others. Yes, you can super tune the TRX but you might want to maybe take a little preparation prior to doing that:) Like going through airport security, just take all your metal off and put it in a tray and leave it in the car and you should be fine. Of course that is an extreme exaggeration but a super tuned TRX is pretty wild. The fact is that there is no need to do that because the TRX set at factory default already has as much or maybe more depth than other brand pointers have after being super tuned. Anyway give yours a try and report back with your results. I tried it and even though it worked I could not see any need for doing that during a normal hunt.

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My TRX has been on the trail with me since 27 Feb and I have logged a lot of hours. I see some reports about thin skin or weak case that cracks when dropped. I have dropped my TRX twice, once on cement and once on asphalt. Both occasions was from about waist high. I could find no ill effects as a result of these two accidents. Maybe some user who has long skinny calipers could measure what is being called "thin skin" and just compare that measurement with other like designed pointers and post that data and then we could know for sure if there is a weak point in this new design.

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using my old calipers from my reloading bench I could only reach into the battery compartment areas and I got the following measurements. Both the TRX and Garret were about 3/32 in. and the Minelab was about 5/32 in. thick. When you have all three in your hand, the flex and feel seems to be very solid on them all. My thought is this "thin skin" talk might come down to just a couple initials from our alphabet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread