Tryed It, Seen it, Believe It

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Growing up on a farm and seeing many things one of which was dowsing or water witching as they called it. My grandpa would walk around where he wished a well to be using a water type piece of wood like a willow or water oak etc. He hold the Y handles and it would start shaking and driving to the ground. We always hit water, after a while as I grew older he passed the art on to me. It is really fun to do and try. I have his and my witchers in a shed on the farm and use them still today

Once at a work site without plans we need to find the water feed. I cut two hangars about 15 in and bent 5 in at a ninety. Laying them resting in my hands. As I walked around in front of the yard as they crossed back and forth, I laid markers. My workers were laughing at me. As they dug in each spot which I got 6 crossing in the front of the yard, the main water line was discovered. The other 5 were underground sprinkler lines.

I have played with finding coins etc with them and recommend it to anyone, like anything you have to practice to get confidence and be good at it.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I have played with finding coins etc with them and recommend it to anyone, like anything you have to practice to get confidence and be good at it.

Dowsing rods are cheap to make. The old adage “ Practice makes perfect is so true”. Plus it is fun to do…Art

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I was first reading up on treasure hunting, before buying a detector. A couple good articles on dowsing were published in Lost Treasure magazine, both L-rods and as they called it doodlebugging. I could tell you some stories using both. Once I had brass rods using them in the lawn area of a county river preserve park. Didn't have a metal detector yet, so thought would be no harm in experimenting with the rods there. Off in the trees I had seen some old cellar holes. I was in the lawn area near the restrooms. My rod picked up a foundation signal some 40-50 feet to the left of the restrooms. I stuck the end of the rod in the ground like a probe. I found what seemed like a foundation just inches below the grass. Moved down several feet. Same thing, hard surface the right width to be a foundation. Yep, old foundation right there in the park lawn alright. But being a park river preserve, never tried to get permission to hunt...is historic riverboat canal with old saloon at the end.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread