Trying not to get discouraged

P47RCFlyer

Jan 16, 2013
White Oak, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett "Ace 250", Garrett "Groundhog", BH "Tracker IV", Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend and I went out today to an old homesite with permission. Hunted and hunted, nothing but junk. Went to the local park/baseball field, found nothing. Went to the bleachers at the local high school, found $.46.

Not sure what i'm doing wrong, LOL.

IMG_0116.jpg

Upvote 2

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
your finding coins and your finding metal, doesn't sound like your doing anything wrong. I don't know how much time you have swinging a machine, but it's not a home run right out of the gate, at least it wasn't for me. I had to really work to get to know my machine, know what it was telling me and what it wasn't. If I could make a suggestion, make sure you are digging every sound you hear. You will find that as you hear a tone and dig what you hear, you will start to see a pattern of tones to coins. Displays are nice, but they can be tricky, rely on the tones.

Keep hunting and digging, the more you get to know your machine, the more you will find and be able to disc. out the stuff you don't want, that's just my 2cents

HH

Pulltab Parson

OP
OP
P47RCFlyer

P47RCFlyer

Jan 16, 2013
White Oak, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your finding coins and your finding metal, doesn't sound like your doing anything wrong. I don't know how much time you have swinging a machine, but it's not a home run right out of the gate, at least it wasn't for me. I had to really work to get to know my machine, know what it was telling me and what it wasn't. If I could make a suggestion, make sure you are digging every sound you hear. You will find that as you hear a tone and dig what you hear, you will start to see a pattern of tones to coins. Displays are nice, but they can be tricky, rely on the tones.

Keep hunting and digging, the more you get to know your machine, the more you will find and be able to disc. out the stuff you don't want, that's just my 2cents

HH

Pulltab Parson

Thanks for the advice. It has been about 12 years since i hunted. I just picked up this BH Tracker IV and i'm still learning it. I guess i just need more time to understand the different tones and what it means. I've also got a killer back & neck ache from today, LOL. Not in shape for this kind of long term standing and bending.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some days are going to be that way, that's just more incentive to go out and hunt more, there will be great days ahead my friend!

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
you did better than I on my last time out .. I found 13 1/2 cents .... the 1/2 was one of the pennies I dug was only half after the ground got through with it .. you are doin good ...just keep swinging .... alot of people get into this hobby thinkin treasure chest ....but if you are just gettin out & enjoyin the time with mother nature & to find something from the past .... that's what I like ..and if you can find a friend to hunt with , it's all the better

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last few days I founds some good stuff, went out all day today but found nothing! My stepdad found an 1888 morgan dollar sitting on the ground but no other coins in the area. You never know! Keep it up!!!

OP
OP
P47RCFlyer

P47RCFlyer

Jan 16, 2013
White Oak, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. Yes, a co-worker friend is into this also so he and i went hunting for the first time today. We had a great time until our backs, necks and legs started breaking down so we called it quits after 6 hours of non stop hunting, LOL.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting discouraged is the easy part ! When the sun comes up wipe down your machine and get back at it !!! OH ! and no matter what have fun !:occasion14:

OP
OP
P47RCFlyer

P47RCFlyer

Jan 16, 2013
White Oak, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting discouraged is the easy part ! When the sun comes up wipe down your machine and get back at it !!! OH ! and no matter what have fun !:occasion14:

Sure gonna try. I have so many places in mind that i want to hunt i can hardly sleep at night for thinking about all of what could be out there waiting to be found. I need to get a grip i guess, LOL. My wife already thinks i have lost my mind since hunting is all i talk about since i've gotten back into it. I'm sure if i ever find "that ring" she won't think i'm crazy anymore. :headbang:

Last edited:

rdawg14

Aug 13, 2012
NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I can say much cause I have only been out a few times myself but so far all I have found is about 24 nails, 2 pennies, and a piece of a really old plow! haha. By my experience, it seems like to get things out of detecting what it really takes is putting in the time. Good luck in the future though!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell you how many often I came home empty handed. Keep at it! One day you will hit a yard and walk away with pocket full of silver.

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Weve all been there : ) like everyone says learn your machine and listen to the signals. I was in a area with so much trash today I almost gave up there was pulltabs and pop tops everywhere.I slowed down and really listend to my machine a hour later I had a 45 mercury, a silver war nickel, and a 1934 quarter. I promise your day will come..just stay positive.

OP
OP
P47RCFlyer

P47RCFlyer

Jan 16, 2013
White Oak, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again guys. I feel like if i can learn the machine and what its telling me i will be able to enjoy it a whole lot more. Digging pull tabs and tin cans all day is not my vision for this hobby, LOL. Once in a while is ok but today was 99% junk and pull tabs. I'm sure in time i'll get it nailed down. :thumbsup:

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My big find of the day at the beach was an aluminum trash can bracket. Made the beach patrol happy at least.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't get the nickname "PULLTAB" parson for nothing. . . . I have pulled more pulltabs out of the ground than I care to mention. We have all been there and we all will still get them in our holes, that's just the nature of the game. The best part is, there will be a time when you will begin to pull more clad, silver and gold than pulltabs, but it's all about knowing your rig. That's the great thing about TNet, everyone here is great and willing to help in any way they can, It's the nicest site on the net!

HH
Pulltab

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend and I went out today to an old homesite with permission. Hunted and hunted, nothing but junk. Went to the local park/baseball field, found nothing. Went to the bleachers at the local high school, found $.46.

Not sure what i'm doing wrong, LOL.

Which were you using? The Groundhog?

I suspect that the only thing wrong was that the loop didn't get over any special signals today. That'll change, it do take time. Ya know? :)

In the meantime, that is one reason I come to T-net. When I get discouraged, I just start reading what others' are finding and it pumps me back up. That's because I SEE that it's out there, STILL! Just a matter of time and this place gets me back out there.

HH!

Last edited:

btd111

Jan 18, 2013
Newcastle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know what you mean. I've haven't been able to sleep the last few weeks because I'm going through a mental map in my head deciding how to identify property and the like. I have a back operation in a week then some recovery then I will be able to get out. Want to know the funny part? I haven't even purchases my first MD yet! Just been waiting till all the planets align!

OP
OP
P47RCFlyer

P47RCFlyer

Jan 16, 2013
White Oak, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADIFIND............I was using the BH, the GH needs some work so it is "out of order" at the moment. I really like the simplicity of the BH i just cannot always tell what is junk and what might be legit. I am feeling the effects of a nice cherry blister in the palm of my right had this morning from all the digging i did. I was digging ever hit i had, LOL.

btd111............ My friend and hunting partner spend most of our work week back and forth from our offices talking about where we want to go next and when. I have been compiling tons of research and documentation about old battlefields, forts and any other historic place in our area. I enjoy learning and researching my local history as much as the actual hunting.

garyo1954

Jan 4, 2013
Elkhart, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADIFIND............I was using the BH, the GH needs some work so it is "out of order" at the moment. I really like the simplicity of the BH i just cannot always tell what is junk and what might be legit. I am feeling the effects of a nice cherry blister in the palm of my right had this morning from all the digging i did. I was digging ever hit i had, LOL.

btd111............ My friend and hunting partner spend most of our work week back and forth from our offices talking about where we want to go next and when. I have been compiling tons of research and documentation about old battlefields, forts and any other historic place in our area. I enjoy learning and researching my local history as much as the actual hunting.

If you need a support system, you guys have a club up that way:

East Texas Treasure Hunters Association
V.G. Rollins, Treasurer,
2902 Jane Drive
Longview, TX 75601

Like everybody says, enjoy yourself and swing away!

GL & HH

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
me and my son are pretty new to MD also , although we have been out a few times we also are still learning , we have a handfull of change and a few weird looking peices of metal to show for it . the hardest part is like you said , laying there al night thinking over the spots and getting really hyped about a spot then either finding nothing or another 50 cents in change,,lol
but we are learning the machine and what the sounds mean, it is very hard to not dig every beep no matter the sound or depth but resistance is better when you skip the screwwcap beeps and get a quarter beep and dig it and get a quarter, so stay with it .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread