Trying something

Rh2racing

Feb 24, 2013
Ok so like others I had heard of the sacks of quikrete sand with small amounts of gold in 'em and decided to have a go. But I decided to do it a bit better and try different types and see if there is a difference between brands. Here is what I am starting with:
Sakrete natural play sand 50#
Sakrete allpurpose sand 60#
Kolorscape all purpose sand .5 cu ft
Quikrete all purpose sand 50#

I will pan 'em and report back!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rh2racing

Feb 24, 2013
So far nothing. Some black sand but other than that .... I do see some gold dust possibly but not much.

On a side note how long does it normally take to pan one pan of material on average?

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi racing and welcome to the net. First "IF" there is any gold in the sand you bought will all depend on where it came from. If it was dug up and proccessed in the middle of say Oklahoma there is a chance the isn't any. The gravel and sand must come from an area that at least had glaciers covering the ground or near to it or from gold country like calif. If no gold in the area no gold in the sand. How long it takes to pan all depends on experiance. Everyones speed is different though. I pan faster than my wife yet my son pans faster than me and we all have panned hundreds of pans. Good luck on your test. Looking forward to your results.

B H Prospector

OP
OP
R

Rh2racing

Feb 24, 2013
One company is in NC so there may be something. I bought it in WV so it could have come from a bunch of areas that have placer deposits from what I have read but we will have to see. I have to work another two 13+ hr shifts tomorrow and the next day so I won't get more done for a bit. Maybe on sunday.

Thanks for the support!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
here in the midwest theres fine gold in them bags. BHProspector is correct on researching where they get their material from!!and to say how fast itll take to proccess the material is totally up to your abilitys!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rh2racing,
Nothing like taking a good methodical approach to answering your question of what the possibilities are in your area for gold in commercial sand bags. Panning can be slow tedious work a possible faster(?) method might be running the materials through a simple concentrator sluice. A company in CA makes one for about $35 shipped, they are casluicebox.com A person could use a garden hose or a pond pump and recirculate the water.

Just to confirm your panning is doing what it is supposed to put some small birdshot pellets in the pan along with the sand, if you end up with the same number of pellets in the pan when you come to the end of the contents in the pan then your panning is perfect....................63bkpkr

0_002.jpg

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the CA Bucket Sluice and really like it! I am amazed at the fine gold that it captures. I have it set up on a recirculating system and add a little JetDry to the water and it works great.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ejimbo, what sized recirc pump do you recommend for this use?

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a 800gph Sunami from Wally World and it works great. I have a control valve so I can adjust water flow. I can post a couple pics of my set up if you want?

OP
OP
R

Rh2racing

Feb 24, 2013
Found 2 flakes! Not much but then again I havent even gotten thtough one bag.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi racing and welcome to the net. First "IF" there is any gold in the sand you bought will all depend on where it came from. If it was dug up and proccessed in the middle of say Oklahoma there is a chance the isn't any. The gravel and sand must come from an area that at least had glaciers covering the ground or near to it or from gold country like calif. If no gold in the area no gold in the sand. How long it takes to pan all depends on experiance. Everyones speed is different though. I pan faster than my wife yet my son pans faster than me and we all have panned hundreds of pans. Good luck on your test. Looking forward to your results.

B H Prospector

There is gold in Oklahoma just hard to find I dredge year round here.

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
KevinInColorado here ya go! Sorry it took so long but we had bad storms move through Ga. yesterday and I was dealing with clean up and power outage!LOL

DSC06768_zpsc5d9c0b6.jpg

DSC06769_zps3f265106.jpg

DSC06770_zpsa07cf93c.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
KevinInColorado here ya go! Sorry it took so long but we had bad storms move through Ga. yesterday and I was dealing with clean up and power outage!LOL

Totally awesome pics, thanks ejimbo ...hope you bounce back fast from the storm!

Last edited:

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Saw 63bkpkr's post above. Went to Ca Sluice's website and ordered me one on Sunday. Shipped Monday, due to arrive today!

Then ejimbo4 posts some great pics with a pump!

Made my day. Guys here rock!

Now I just gotta feed it some gold ...

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I only used Oaklahoma as an example. It is not known as gold country. There is gold in every state but not all are known as being gold country.

No hard feelings here you are correct not know as a gold state. I grew up in Arizona prospecting the Bradshaws. And as you know once you have the fever you can't stop it.

Happy hunting to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread