Trying to find the beauty in the ashes

arapahoscout

Sep 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mods, I feel this is a good place for this to be seen. Although it is not a treasure that has been found per se, maybe someone here can find their own treasure and help this man at the same time.

This mans paintings and sculptures are a treasure in and of themselves.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article/233515/346/Trying-to-find-the-beauty-in-the-ashes-

http://johnscottart.weebly.com/index.html

5961839_orig.jpg

KITTREDGE - The family of a 92-year-old man is holding a benefit to help him recover after a devastating fire.

Nearly a month ago, John Scott lost the cabin he built with his own two hands on five acres near Kittredge.

"Oh my god, it was a beautiful cabin," Scott said. "It was a paradise."

He wanted to build a cabin just like is grandfather.

Like his grandfather, he drove in every nail, he stacked 120 logs on the foundation and 15 on the roof. Then he would play his bagpipes in the area, keeping his Scottish heritage alive.

It was his dream to live there for the rest of his life.

"Fate chose other methods. And so here I am, sitting in a hospital with burns all over me," Scott said.

He was burned on Nov. 7.

The wood stove in his cabin got too hot and started a fire.

"A blast of flame and smoke scorched - second-degree burns on my face and hands," Scott said.

He says he didn't even feel the pain. There was too much adrenaline. Too many thoughts in his head of: "Why? This is everything I've worked to build."

"To stand there and to see your dream go up in smoke is hard to take," he said.

It would be even harder if firefighters hadn't gotten up there in time to save another building.

"Once you see this stuff, you're going to be amazed," Laura Scott, John's daughter, told 9NEWS. "He's an amazing man."

That's when she showed us what was inside the building that was saved.

"Luckily, the fire people were able to save my gallery," John Scott said.

It turns out he had moved to the mountains to become an artist.

"He's got so much imagination and creativity," his daughter said while showing off his paintings.

John Scott got so good at it, he sold works to major cities, giving people a look at what life away from it all looks like.

"I think the only think that would make up for the loss of his cabin is if he could do some sales here. That's what I'm shooting for, is just to make him happy that way. He would be surprised and grateful and everything," Laura Scott said.

"Buy my art. 'Cause my wife and I, damn, my wife and I are living off our Social Security checks. And it's tough," John Scott said.

His wife did not want to go on camera, but she and everyone else knows that John Scott has to get back to the mountains.

"I have to. My soul is up there. My splinters, my blood, my blisters, broken bones - and now a burned face. I've got to go back," he said.

He wants to paint again and remember there is still beauty, even among the ashes.

"There is no way you can squash that spirit, no matter how hard you try," Laura Scott said.

If you would like to buy a piece of John Scott's art, you can visit http://johnscottart.weebly.com.

(KUSA-TV © 2011 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread