Trying to find the right detector for me.

Damian77

Nov 7, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am new to metal detecting but I've wanted to do it for years now.. I absolutely love to find old items that have meaning. Also I would enjoy making some money metal detecting by finding gold silver jewelry etc. I live in Knoxville, TN. I plan to use it in the woods under my porch the house was built in the early 60s and I just know there's something under there! Also near lakes.. old abandoned houses.. places of these sorts. My budget is $220.. I've read that the Garrett ACE 250 Metal Detector is a good one but I'm just not sure if it's the one for me or not. Any suggestions? Thank you so much and I am glad to be a part of the forum. This is going to be fun! :headbang:

Also, I would love to find old coins.

Upvote 0

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just checked Bart web site from bigboyshobbies.net and he has a used 350 in stock for 239.00 Most people i talked to that got a 250 enjoyed it but wanted to upgrade after a short time. You can save a little money and upgrade a bit now by geting a used 350. Bart is good and wont swear your wrong. He is also a supporting vendor on here.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might not make money at it; most of us do this as a hobby only. But you will definitely have tons of fun!! At your budget, there are a couple of good choices for a detector...

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damian, my sincerest advice is to save another $80 and then buy yourself a Tesoro Compadre at $160 and a Garrett Propointer at $130. With that combo, you will have an excellent setup to have a lot of fun.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been looking at these and my decision is till out yet.
But there is a thread on this forum for the Teknetics brand.
There are some youtube videos as well showing them in operation.

I personally would compare these with an Ace,or an F2.
Teknetics Euroteck=======$159 brand new
Teknetics euroteck Pro=====$219 brand new

Do your research first,but I actually might buy a tek or Tek pro just for a third,or loaner machine.
There are actually some good to great remarks about this detector.

Teknetics MD's

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! I have an Ace 250 and it is pretty good. I have found tons of clad (literally filling a mason jar of them now), some jewelry good and crap, as well as other odds and ends. The 250 is a good starter detector though low at price, it has good power like the pricier ones. And yes I fully agree it is going to be fun!!:headbang: Hope to see your finds in the future. GL & HH!

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a detector shop in Knoxville or Maryville. Its called Mountain something and I believe they advertize on this site. Knoxville is rich in history. TVA does not permit hunting along the rivers. There is a book that you can find in your local library called " Divided Loyalties" by author Digby Semour. It is a great book on Knoxville Civil War history. Dont get you hopes up much on civil war relic hunting because there not much around but you will find some c.w. while hunting yards. Good luck with your new hobby ! I lived there many years and you are most welcome to ask questions about hunting in Knoxville

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damian, my sincerest advice is to save another $80 and then buy yourself a Tesoro Compadre at $160 and a Garrett Propointer at $130. With that combo, you will have an excellent setup to have a lot of fun.
X-2

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello neighbor. I used to live in Knoxville but now live in Morristown a few miles east of you. Although I am not a big Ace fan a lot of people have started out with it and upgraded later. You will pay it off in no time. I have paid off all of my machines with my finds. I don't do much coin hunting anymore unless it is an old site. I hate clad but starting out this can help pay for your machine. I mainly hunt civil war relics. Since you are new you may want to check out the metal detecting club there called SMARTS. There are three dealers in Knoxville area. Also stay away from the lakes. They are under the TVA and they do not allow metal detecting anymore. If you need any help send me a pm and I can tell you of some old parks that I have hunted and found a lot of wheats and silver. Keep in mind that there are a lot of hunters in the Knoxville area especially from the club and they have pounded the parks for years. I have a couple sites that I can give you that has produced well. One is a ball field where three of us found over 300 quarters and dimes in about 4 hours.

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F2 works nicely too, and they'll usually throw in a pinpointer in the package along with a couple extra coils for the price you're aiming for. If you can afford it though, I'd get the 11 inch DD coil with it.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F2 works nicely too, and they'll usually throw in a pinpointer in the package along with a couple extra coils for the price you're aiming for. If you can afford it though, I'd get the 11 inch DD coil with it.

Another vote for the F2 package. It comes with two coils (8" & 4") & pinpointer all for $215. The pinpointer is a lower end unit but it works (barely). Give Ed a shout over at Treasure Mountain Metal Detectors Specializing All Brands, he'll hook you up! I've found it much more enjoyable to use than my Compadre.

boomerlucas

Greenie
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
cheap radio shack brand, AT Gold coming soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been shopping for a good one to, check out Youtube. I still haven't watched enough to make a definite decision, Garrett is very reputable though

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a compadre, it will do things no other detector can.

OP
OP
Damian77

Damian77

Nov 7, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't thank you all enough for your input and I have made my decision.. I would like the compadre and the garret pinpointer set up but unfortunately it's just out of my budget right now and I've been saving for so long.. I started looking at the f2 as well it looks like a solid detector but the ace 250 seems more simple to me and it uses AA batteries.. I know the f2 can be better in different ways but I am just set on the ace 250.. I ordered it yesterday and it should be here by tuesday! I am very excited and can't wait to share what I find.. thank you everyone so much!

OP
OP
Damian77

Damian77

Nov 7, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a detector shop in Knoxville or Maryville. Its called Mountain something and I believe they advertize on this site. Knoxville is rich in history. TVA does not permit hunting along the rivers. There is a book that you can find in your local library called " Divided Loyalties" by author Digby Semour. It is a great book on Knoxville Civil War history. Dont get you hopes up much on civil war relic hunting because there not much around but you will find some c.w. while hunting yards. Good luck with your new hobby ! I lived there many years and you are most welcome to ask questions about hunting in Knoxville

I will definitely pick the book up I hope they have it at mckays book store! Ahh! Darn tva always getting in the way man! My great grandfather had a farm over in tellico back in the day and apparently there was some kind of fish that was going extinct the Snail Darter so they flooded a ton of land and made a dam.. I would have a farm today if it weren't for those sobs! They paid people pennies on the dollar for their land.. basically nothing.. Sickens me!

Here's the story CurrentsOfChange
It's all about money.. A lot of cherokee indians were pissed off about it too because they lost their sacred sites.. and the farmers were mad because they lost a lot of good farm land and their houses. Sorry for getting so off topic lol

OP
OP
Damian77

Damian77

Nov 7, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello neighbor. I used to live in Knoxville but now live in Morristown a few miles east of you. Although I am not a big Ace fan a lot of people have started out with it and upgraded later. You will pay it off in no time. I have paid off all of my machines with my finds. I don't do much coin hunting anymore unless it is an old site. I hate clad but starting out this can help pay for your machine. I mainly hunt civil war relics. Since you are new you may want to check out the metal detecting club there called SMARTS. There are three dealers in Knoxville area. Also stay away from the lakes. They are under the TVA and they do not allow metal detecting anymore. If you need any help send me a pm and I can tell you of some old parks that I have hunted and found a lot of wheats and silver. Keep in mind that there are a lot of hunters in the Knoxville area especially from the club and they have pounded the parks for years. I have a couple sites that I can give you that has produced well. One is a ball field where three of us found over 300 quarters and dimes in about 4 hours.

Ahh Morristown I've been there a few times great place! Wow! What a ball field Were they silver? I would love to know pm me if you'd like :)

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F2 package from Bigboyhobbies.com- good no nonsense package and the F2 will not disappoint you.

Got one for the wife, but at times, (mainly coin shooting trips to the local park) I choose it over my F5DD because it's light, and a little easier to pinpoint small finds like coins with. Depth is excellent for an MD in its price range.... and the batteries last forever if you use the headphones!

Compadre is good too, as are the lower end Teknetics MDs.

If you feel like Garrett is just the brand you have to go with, save your money for the AT pro, or others they make on the higher end. I have not been impressed with the Ace line, but the AT is excellent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread