Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nighttime temps below freezing.......daytime temps high 30s.......wind makes it feel much colder.........
Still, working my last 2 permissions..........to the bitter cold end............

Looks like silver, feels like silver, heavy like silver, looks to be crafted, no markings...........what the heck is it?

Vince 1.jpg Vince 2.jpg

Keep swingin' your coils my friends.
Thanks for lookin' in.................

Upvote 16
OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea what it is but looks interesting. Any history on the sight you found it?

Not really, Jackalope...........the property is in what was the "well to do" old German settlement. The coin, medallion was down 7" along the entry sidewalk to the front of the home. I've tried coins and medallions with llamas, Mayan, Andes, Peru, South America, Central America as descriptors on a popular search engine and found nothing......??

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was gonna say Peruvian or thereabouts. Definitely looks like a llama on the reverse. Nice find. ๐Ÿ™Œ

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really, Jackalope...........the property is in what was the "well to do" old German settlement. The coin, medallion was down 7" along the entry sidewalk to the front of the home. I've tried coins and medallions with llamas, Mayan, Andes, Peru, South America, Central America as descriptors on a popular search engine and found nothing......??
Maybe it's German silver. Just throwing that out there on account of where you found it. I agree that the design on it doesn't really point in that direction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver

With a composition like that I would assume it probably wouldn't come out of the ground looking like that though.

Last edited:

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm searching Alpaca silver. Haven't found anything yet.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool medallion.
Where are you in North Central Pennsylvania?

Williamsport............home of Little League........and the newly instituted MLB game saluting LLers.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's German silver. Just throwing that out there on account of where you found it. I agree that the design on it doesn't really point in that direction.

With a composition like that I would assume it probably wouldn't come out of the ground looking like that though.

Thanx, Evolution.......it appears that the eyelet was attached when viewed from the top.

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cool would it be if that was at least 100 y/o medallion...lots of new examples online, but nothing matching yours...could Be a good sign. The design doesn't strike me as intricate, but not crude either...interesting

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cool would it be if that was at least 100 y/o medallion...lots of new examples online, but nothing matching yours...could Be a good sign. The design doesn't strike me as intricate, but not crude either...interesting

I showed it to the home owner. He is 2nd generation of the same family of ownership and he did not recognize it..........

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is what a ground found piece of German Silver would look like. My buddy Tony found this a few years ago. It's actually stamped German Silver on the back. Yours looks a little too shiny to be the same. It's the monogrammed brooch thingy in the center.
image (2).jpg image (1).jpg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would look up mexican silver stuff too, feel like ive seen that style face from somewhere around south america for some reason

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the earrings on the guy are a big indicator, also the llama, that's a given, but the ear lobes ornamentation is a big deal, Lots of Amazonian tribes do the earlobe stuff the Huaorami of the Amazon Basin is one, Central American tribes as well had lots of piercings and ornamentation, Aztec and Maya are the big ones. it was just a big deal amongst world cultures and still is. I think it was a souvenir that someone got in the Andes, probably is silver, Silver mining is still a staple of life down there (Spaniards kinda forced that on them).

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Key Fob :icon_thumright:

My first thought was aztec

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The headdress is the jaguar, I believe. Inca souvenir, perhaps.

It looks like a tourist piece to me.

Killer find! Congrats brother!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Key Fob :icon_thumright:

My first thought was Aztec