Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
took oxbowbarefoot to one of my old hunt spots - which was an old Spanish American war & WW I trailing camp area
last time Id been there they had clear cut about an acre of it and another friend and I hit there and I got a 1900-O barber
half and some WW I cuff buttons along with some period shell casings and some period early wheats
as soon as I turned my machine on - I got a surface hit - looked down and found brand new band button - I think it came off of band member that probably parked there during Veterans day or Memorial day cause there is a small memorial to vets about 5o yrds away
I told Jason that there was a giant pine tree downed that they had not removed and brush was high my last time there
and I felt there could be some more goodies left
I tried concentrating on area where I thought tree had been - it wasn't long before I got a nice signal and dug down like 6 ins. and was surprised with
a WW I infantry collar disc ...about 4 feet away I got a similar signal and 7 ins down pop a MASS disc - I was surprised
worked around and was quite for awhile - headed near the tree line and got another real good signal - dug down about 5 ins and was surprised by silver case
the deer head on it looked gold too. walked over to Jason and he thought it was cool - we both agreed it looked like silver and I told
him the deer looked gold - he thought I might be right - he thought it was an older match safe for small stick matches and I thought he might be right
back to the hunt - not much else...I got an eagle cuff -WW I style
at the end of the day Jason wanted to see it again - most of the dirt had jiggled out of it he started to see if he could open - the hinge was broken
he got it open a little and we found it had some sort of paper inside and he also saw the word HELLO in silver inside - we don't know what that means
but paper was brittle and he closed and handed back to me - I had to work last night and wondered if the piece was in fact a match safe :dontknow:
and I wondered if it was period :dontknow: ...I thought it might be from the 40s or 50s
well when I got home I opened it a little bit more and at least one question was answered - don't know if I want to mess with more right now - they are tryin to build
a small museum here and I was going to loan most of the items I have found there to it if they are interested - so will wait for now on it
any other ideas on it are welcome

DSC00197.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00199.JPG
    DSC00199.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 23

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on some great finds! That little box is pretty cool! Please post back if you figure out what it is. That rounds are in really good shape too.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a great time yesterday. I think we would have done even better if that one horse wasn't trying to show off for the mares in that one corral. I'll post pics of my finds when I get home. The up close pics of your matchbox are very cool.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds guys. Would love to see how that case would look all cleaned up (not suggesting that you do so especially if you might offer it for loan to that museum). But now for the real question...Casper, what are you doing out of the water? :) just kidding. Nice hunt.

-TwoYewts

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually start the years off with a few land hunts - relic hunts ...if/when possible
farm fields/ cellarholes ---this spot was a great spot when I was a kid ---was able to hone
some of my skills in the late 70s early 80s - when I was in my teens
it yielded a lot of late 1800 early 1900s coins and relics - was lucky/happy to get what I got

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver case is very interesting looking . Cant wait to see whats on the paper inside

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool match container. Almost looks like an "elks" motto!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! I love the collar military disks and buttons. But that silver match holder is awesome!! Congratulations and happy hunting

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, , that paper script has me curious, what does it say and is there a company name on it??

I'm afraid if I pull it out it may disintegrate - it is stuck on both sides of the case
it looks like some sort of permit - gun permit ?? - drivers license ?? or registration for car or something else ??
it says - "NO." = number?
looks like OLD TOW = OLD TOWN?
"THIS IS TO CERTIFY THAT"
I see "vember" = November
I see " state of issue"
and of course - 1917-18 = so what ever it is - its good for a year I guess

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool match container. Almost looks like an "elks" motto!
was wonder if that could be - we have a lot of elk lodges up this way

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh...i'm not the one that hit it - I dug a big plug and it was just under the dirt in the hole - I used a pin pointer

Reelsnrods

Feb 13, 2013
Nantucket
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I'm still Waiting to find a button that doesn't say Levi or Guess on it[emoji35]

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
108771_1.jpg Mystery solved - guy on another forum found this

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mystery solved on find from yesterdays hunt

guy on another forum came across this - this one is all gold - mine = silver with a gold Elk

attachment.php

DSC00191.JPG DSC00197.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread