Tumbler Question or 2 Please-Thanks in Advance

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
I have gotten a new case tumbler from Lyman and I guess I am doing something wrong. They sent me a big jug of coarse corn meal looking stuff and I filled the tumbler up and put 40 coins in it. After 4 hours of continuous sifting I got nada,zip,zilch,zero. The coins look like they did when they jumped in.
Am I using the wrong material ? :icon_scratch: If so what do I need.
Is 4 hours enough time for me to be seeing some progress ?
I am trying to get some of the crap off of my 40% silver halves.

Thanks for all the good advice, Jim

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I forgot to search first. I found some excellent answers once I got off my a$$ and looked. Thanks ya'll. Jim

S

seger98

Hey there, I fill mine about 1/3 of the way with coins, cover enough with water maybe an inch more over the coins, then I toss in a little sand & dawn dishsoap.

Sounds like maybe you forgot the water.

Chris

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Doh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Nah... he's using the walnut media, and maybe dry, which is very limited in ability to scrub badly soiled coins.
...and probably filled it up too much also.

When the coins are real dirty, just use playground sand or kitty litter w a dash of soap or borax.
Must separate coins. silver colored from pennies.

If you have REAL silver coins that might be valuable, they should probably not be tumbled at all!
If there was a chance of value, I wouldn't do it.

Anyhow, after 4hrs in the wet sand n' soap, rinse them off with a dollar store plastic collander and begin again with clean water. 4 hrs is probably a minimum time for a run.

Is this what you want to hear?

Without more info from you it's hard to give better advice.

Best
rmptr

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
when it's just clad, I throw it in with water to cover about 1 inch, a hand full of sand and a healthy shake of comet and tumble about 20 minutes, it comes out nice and shiny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread