Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a rock tumbler for mine..$30 buys you that, grit and unpolished stones that come with it..you can purchase one at a department store or hobby/craft place.

I just used mine today..I put in a handful of coins, a half-and-half mixture of water and lemon juice and a squirt of dishwashing soap..after a few hours the clad is incredibly clean..especially the pennies. You'll be amazed at the color of the water when you remove the lid (dark brown)!

My tumbler is a Rolling Stones brand..there's another called Smithsonian. They all cost about the same and are of similar quality.

Good luck,
Nat

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought mine on sale at Harbor Freight for only $24.99. I think they are a Chicago brand tumbler.
Works great for cleaning up coins and other finds. I just put in aquarium gravel, a squirt of dish soap, and some water.
Good luck.
-MM-

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
You can build a vibrating cleaner (like the expensive ones used for reloading) for just a few dollars.

Find a used shop, goodwill etc. and pickup an old vibrating foot massager or other type of vibrating massager.

Mount that firmly to the bottom of a board. On top, affix a tupperware bowl that has a lid. On another same size square of plywood, drill 4 holes in the corner to fit 3/6" all thread(any size actually will do). In the board with the vibrator drill 4 corresponding holes LARGER than the all thread. Place springs on the all thread and drop the vibrating board on top of the springs so it is "floating" on the springs. Put your cleaning media(crushed walnuts, etc.) in the bowl, add the coins and turn it on.

I built one for around $5. It works great to clean brass for reloading.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread