Tuning AT Gold...

billyjoe42

May 10, 2007
Placer Co, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, White's M6, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Sun Ray Gold, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Using Disc 1, I tune my AT Gold to "accept" a small, thin 14K wedding band. It VDIs at 38 in test garden.
Will this # change with mineralization or depth? I maintain a slight-positive ground balance.
Love this machine... still on learning curve, so appreciate advice. Thanks .

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using Disc 1, I tune my AT Gold to "accept" a small, thin 14K wedding band. It VDIs at 30 in test garden. Will this # change with mineralization or depth? I maintain a slight-positive ground balance. Love this machine... still on learning curve, so appreciate advice. Thanks .
wow that's in the iron range. I've only found silver and plated rings with my pro but 30 seems low on the VDI for gold. Hope John chimes in and gives you an answer on this but if ground balanced correct I wouldn't think it would change much unless it's real deep. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
billyjoe42

billyjoe42

May 10, 2007
Placer Co, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, White's M6, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Sun Ray Gold, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, my typo mistake. VDI reading is 38. Nice catch, Kodiak.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, my typo mistake. VDI reading is 38. Nice catch, Kodiak.
your welcome billyjoe. I don't have the gold but want to get one to go with my pro. The true all metal mode and threshold would be great in the open fields. Someone will come along soon to give ya some help. If John Edmonton sees this he will help you out. You could pm him too. Great guy and knows the Garrett's.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extreme mineralization like around hot rocks can affect the ID numbers lower. Also when I get numbers that are off a bit I first suspect improper ground balancing. When a target is very deep it can also lower the ID number. So if you can hear the target is real deep then you need to take that into account. The good deep targets are narrow and quick, not bleeding from a halo. I tell everyone to learn to use the All Metal Mode when it's not too trashy. When you hear a good sound, take a glance at the ID number and just figure if it's deep it's going to read lower. If it's real deep and reads in the 60's dig it for sure. I'm talking real deep more than eight inches for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions