Turkish machines, Nokta and Makro, something Im seeing a lot of....

Jack Flynn

Oct 18, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turkish machines, Nokta and Makro, something I'm seeing a lot of....

Make sure you spend enough time analyzing your targets in the ground before you dig them. Learn the sounds of what you just dug. Some are going to catch on quickly, some a little slower, and sadly some just won't. The great thing about these machines is their audio. They are so good at telling you what a bad target sounds like that the good targets are slap you in the face evident. Lot's of audio nuances with these machines however subtle some of them may be. They are absurdly good at identifying not good targets so you won't dig them. Spend more time analyzing so you will learn a lot quicker what they are capable of.

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
Jack,
I'm still learning my fors, in Di3 bottle cap, pull tab and small gold all sound the same, metal grunts and coins are high tone. When coin hunting I won't dig a grunt and a mid tone, well maybe. When you say subtle nuances are you saying to listen to the way the 3 tones change there sound?
Thanks

Last edited:

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jack,
I'm still learning my fors, in Di3 bottle cap, pull tab and small gold all sound the same, metal grunts and coins are high tone. When coin hunting I won't dig a grunt and a mid tone, well maybe. When you say subtle nuances are you saying to listen to the way the 3 tones change there sound?
Thanks

jangles, not so much change but the way a tone is given. To use a machine...vs learning a machine is learning what it's telling you. jack and a few others have vids the when watched you can ear the tones and how the tone sounds for certain targets. by watching these it really helped my first on the unit.

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good targets are very crisp. Bad targets sound like there is a buzz on the edges. Sounds weird but once you hear it, it is very distinct.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going back out Friday to learn more about that happycamper. The guy teaching me the unit was finding targets behind me because he new what to listen for, hope to pick up on how he does it. I was digging the stand out tones and like you said...they were crisp hits among all the trash.

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Good targets are very crisp. Bad targets sound like there is a buzz on the edges. Sounds weird but once you hear it, it is very distinct.
I understand about the crisp vs. buzzy targets, what gets me is a ptab and a nickel both are pretty smooth. Can you differentiate those signals?

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull tabs are tough. The only machine I have used that would definitely give me nickles 95% of the time is an Etrac.

OP
OP
Jack Flynn

Jack Flynn

Oct 18, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nickels lock pretty good TID wise and the sound is unmistakable in DI3/3 tone. Pulltabs sound decent, however entering and exiting the tab is a little washed sounding. But I will dig one or maybe two on some hunts. Coins ramp up almost instantly and exit just as quick sound wise not unless they are colocated with something or several things. Then you get to hear it all and rely on TID. The key is learning the extremely fast up and down sound of a coins audio report as the detection field passes over it. Anything that is good/excellent quality metal sounds great also no matter what the shape of it. The audio on these machines is second to none for me. I'll mention this, these machines have several ways to detect but 3 tone in either one is very very informative to your ears.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels lock pretty good TID wise and the sound is unmistakable in DI3/3 tone. Pulltabs sound decent, however entering and exiting the tab is a little washed sounding. But I will dig one or maybe two on some hunts. Coins ramp up almost instantly and exit just as quick sound wise not unless they are colocated with something or several things. Then you get to hear it all and rely on TID. The key is learning the extremely fast up and down sound of a coins audio report as the detection field passes over it. Anything that is good/excellent quality metal sounds great also no matter what the shape of it. The audio on these machines is second to none for me. I'll mention this, these machines have several ways to detect but 3 tone in either one is very very informative to your ears.

Jack have you noticed the bad targets have that scratchy sound before and after? Also noticed using the toe or heel the sounds change a lot. What have you noticed using toe or heel?

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used

Thanks for that Jack,
It's been raining here lately so I'm going try some testing, sounds like a plan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread