Turning my ATP wireless: RF/stereo or Bluetooth?

jmastny78

Jun 13, 2014
Three Rivers, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000
I am sick and tired of my headphone cable! I am planning on turning my ATP into a wireless unit, but I'm wondering what route is better: RF/stereo wireless or Bluetooth? I've heard a lot of talk about lag time being slow with Bluetooth, but most of that was from several years ago and I can't seem to find anything more recent. I would like to go Bluetooth since it allows more options and you can get it pretty much anywhere. I just don't want to get set up and find out I can't pin point easily because it's too slow sending the signal to my headphones. I am not opposed to the RF/stereo options, just wondering if Bluetooth technology has caught up enough to eliminate, or at the very least minimize, the lag time? Any info or advise would be greatly appreciated! HH

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just make sure you use Bluetooth 4.0. The older versions are laggy, but BT4.0 has the added benefit of being very low energy draw. Another thing is that BT can sometimes be laggy because of how the module is made. Adafruit makes a good bluetooth module, but unless you know how to "hard wire" add the BT Module, I am afraid it will be trial and error for you.

Mike

ETEXHunter

Feb 25, 2015
E. Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE 250, Tesoro Bandito uMax, Compass coin scanner, Tek Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use Bluetooth but you really need to be sure that the transmitter AND headphones are certified as using aptX Low Latency technology. If this technology is employed there will be no noticeable latency in the received signal. Before purchasing equipment I would go to the CSR/aptX website and click on the "low latency" recommended equipment list. I am using this technology currently with complete success.

JR

Waltorian

Greenie
Mar 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I've been thinking the same thing. I have a Smartbean I bought at frys electronics. And was going to try it tonight when I get home. It's very small and was only like 15 bucks. I have a pr of lg bt headphones I will use.

Thumpic

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2016
The Sunny South
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So how did this work out? I was considering the same thing and was going to post a question when I found this thread…

Last edited:

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried a few bluetooth setups. Even the best have a little lag, and it just bothered me too much. I just ordered a Rapoo setup last night. 2.4ghz RF with no lag. Hopefully the sound quality is good enough to use on my Racer 2. If not, I'll buy another corded set.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TDK WR700's work great. You can still find them on eBay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions