California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you do with the clad coins that are pitted, eroded, defaced to the point they can't be put into circulation? I've been filling empty peanut butter jars with them - but how to generate cash from them?
I’ve been told that the mint will take them but you end up losing cash value of the coins and the postage!
I have a coffee can full that I’m going to bury , as they will make a great treasure to find some day for someone…!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tumble them in a rock tumbler to clean them up. The ones like zinc pennies that are horribly corroded are just junk.

OP
OP
Q

qtrs-xcite-me

Mar 28, 2022
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Maybe a bank will trade them in. They do for ripped bills.
Unfortunately, the bank will not take them. They require all coins to go through a coin counter that discards anything it does not like. Many years ago, if you took damaged coins to a Federal Reserve Bank, they had to accept them. My research has shown that is no longer true.

I am looking for someone who has come up with an idea for using damaged coins in some kind of profit making craft project or found a way to legally turn them into scrap metal revenue.

I wonder, sometimes, how much of the national debt is worthless coins buried in the ground.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Put them in old glass canning jars and sell them on eBay. I’ve seen it done with new marbles and buttons.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder, sometimes, how much of the national debt is worthless coins buried in the ground.
Actually the government "makes money" on coins, since they're made of cheap metals by the US Mint, who then sells them into circulation at face value. They lose money on pennies and nickels, but make a bit on all the rest. But yeah, a couple of years in the ground and they're toast.

Gulf Coast Pirate

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2021
Bayport, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, the bank will not take them. They require all coins to go through a coin counter that discards anything it does not like. Many years ago, if you took damaged coins to a Federal Reserve Bank, they had to accept them. My research has shown that is no longer true.

I am looking for someone who has come up with an idea for using damaged coins in some kind of profit making craft project or found a way to legally turn them into scrap metal revenue.

Yeah, look how much gets thrown away....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions