turquoise blue semi hard clay nodules in gravel?

HeavyMetalThunder

Aug 5, 2015
Texas/Colorado/Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was test panning a gravel bar in a creek in Colorado last summer and was getting little turquoise blue colored clay "balls" about the size and shape of a quails egg...they where blue all the way through, semi soft like dried clay...sorry no pics...heavy black sands in creek was finding iron and copper pyrites in rock samples...was just exploring and wasn't digging down to bedrock...didn't keep any to test but suspect they where copper mineralized...

Anyone else find such turquoise blue clay nodules in gravel and was any gold around?

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_3065.JPG

We all get our share of it. This area actually had some gold in the outer layer of it. Other slimy mucky blue clay I have found is nothing but a mess. Lots of times it will border rusty mucky brown clay.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe mold it into bowls, etc. stick into a kiln and see if it comes out as gold glazed pottery.:laughing7: By the way, what they said above.

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe mold it into bowls, etc. stick into a kiln and see if it comes out as gold glazed pottery....

I would but I do not want to be referred to as the man with blue bowls....

OP
OP
H

HeavyMetalThunder

Aug 5, 2015
Texas/Colorado/Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe mold it into bowls, etc. stick into a kiln and see if it comes out as gold glazed pottery.:laughing7: By the way, what they said above.

Well I don't need any bowls...but getting low on coffee cups (had the handles on 2 cups just plumb fall off this week!) ...will a spiral gold concentrating wheel if ran horizontally substitute as a pottery wheel? :laughing7:

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering whether or not that might have been iron oxide that's been reduced by anarobic critters, or some chemical reaction. Is it surrounded by red clay?

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What I have found is it is in pockets and large layers

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Hey Heavy Metal. I got you on this. I work as a soil technician in Denver. That clay is respectfully called Colorado Blue!
Its a revealing material. If you were in the mountains west of Denver and found this I'd do some sniffing. If you found blue clay in the mountains that has formed a "hardpan" there should be some gold on it. If the clay was just found in your dirt, I'd move. Clay within strata gravels means the dirt was moved recently, and most likely won't have great values.
Also blue clay minerals were found close to silver deposits.
Also if you are finding fresh metalic pyrites, or other sulfide minerals in your dirt I'd move as well. Unoxidized sulfide minerals usually point again towards the dirt being young.
The best thing you can find is gravels that appear to be rock. Hardpack knitted gravels are old, and usually have the GOODS!!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The few times I have found it "blue clay, nice pay"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread