Tweaking your metal detector

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The best way I have found to 'tweak' a detector is to start with the factory-suggested settings in the instructions. Many on this forum have suggested making a test garden with various coins, gold and silver targets, nails, bottle caps, pull tabs, etc. You might try this over different types of ground in your area as well.

Go over each target a few times until you get the feel of what the detector is telling you with the settings you have. Then work with one knob at a time, going from low to high extremes gradually, re-testing each target at each increment. Depending on how many knobs you have, this can take several hours or days of detecting time, but you will learn what each knob does and where the best setting is.

S

seismo

Lab Rat - If I read Hitman correctly, I believe he was asking about tweaks or upgrades beyond the external settings. I've often wondered this myself, as the Troy detectors are souped-up Tesoros, right? So, it makes me wonder if others open up their detector and change out a chip, transistor, capacitor, etc...for better performance.

OP
OP
H

Hitman

Dec 29, 2004
Actually you are both correct, There is equipment like the Whites that will tell you how much of the metal is in the object you detect and what % is what it is.(almost cheating if you ask me). I wonder if these are correct or are they just like my depth gauge... their to entertain you will you hunt Ha Ha..thing is never right. Are their chip or boosters to magnify the magnetic field around the coil to be deeper and more correct in its determination like the high end machines out their. Or is it like a car...more gadgets more money more money more money, etc. with the same result... gets you from A to B and back who cares.... Thanks to both of you for answering my question... been an avid hunter for years and will always be looking for something new...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a CB Radio can be TWEAKED UP, by turning something inside. IT WOULD BE COOL, If I could do that with my SOVEREIGN.

juniorb

Greenie
Jan 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
BH 505 Excal II
Hitman,
I tried to PM you but couldn't, if you're still coming down next week, swing by the Coast Guard Station and ask for the Chief at the Aids to Navigation Team. I should be around.
JuniorB

OP
OP
H

Hitman

Dec 29, 2004
juniorb,

I will be definatley down at corpus and padre next week was just notified by the person I was meeting to go hunting with that he will be tied up...... So even though I will be there mostly on buisness I will definatly stop by and see you.....

Burt Dozier aka Hitman

OP
OP
H

Hitman

Dec 29, 2004
juniorb,

where exactly are you??? give me directions or general location so I might find you easier....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread