Twenty dollar double eagles for face value. Check it out

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wish i was behind her in line at walMart. i would paid for all of her stuff for just 1 little 20$ cion.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The teller didn't know the value til he took them to a coin shop? Yea...right! That's exactly why he took them to a shop.

The way the guy in the video was handeling them, they are worth less and less. Stacking and unstacking them, scratching them up.....not too smart.
I bet the woman stole them from somewhere and the walmart story was just that...a story.

Al

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone in their 20's or 30's. You know dang well the coins was not hers. Now if it was a 80 or 90 year old woman you could beleive that story....Matt

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you got that right, mlayers.

I just can't believe they fired the teller. Teller exchanged for face value. Would they fire a teller over a $1 gold coin? How about a $1 Peace Dollar? Or a Standing Liberty Quarter?

-Buck

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the bank manager put sratches,dings and finger prints on the coins,someone needs to save them! Kane 23

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously the bank is just trying to cover their A$$ here. I'm sure nothing would have been said if the teller bought someones buffalo nickel they brought in for face value.

I'm quite sure that the "lady" knew they were rare coins and was just trying to get fast cash for them.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Unless someone else at the bank saw the transaction, how would they even know it occurred?

If the teller quietly exchanged them and said nothing, then sold them on Ebay one by one later, whose the wiser?

Even if the Mallwart story was true, I can see some young clerk not accepting some 'strange looking' coins.
I do agree with the above posters though. Those coins were stolen from someone and exchanged for quick cash.

I just can't believe they fired the teller. Teller exchanged for face value. Would they fire a teller over a $1 gold coin? How about a $1 Peace Dollar? Or a Standing Liberty Quarter?

Technically, that's an interesting point. I wonder if the employee could contest that?

Jay

OP
OP
nova

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my theory on this. I was in walmart the other day and the man in front of me was buying cigarette's with walking
halves I looked at him and offered to buy them from him. He accepted, he told me the old currency was his grandfathers that
was given to him and it was the only money he had. If the gold was stolen I think we would hear about in the paper or news.
This women was naive she new they were rare but had no idea what she was really holding.

JeepMcMuddy

Nov 9, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX-300, 4x6DD, 10"D2
My guess is got them from a family estate, probably was familiar with the "gold" colored sacajawea dollars of today, and figured these were just $20 versions of them.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Could be either way...stolen or just didn't know what she had. Unfortunately we will probably never know the whole (real) story. I will admit though I would have bought them out of my cash drawer whether it was at wal-mart or a bank and made sure the drawer balanced. To me that is just common sense, and nobody elses business. My drawer balanced so whats the problem? People are just not too smart some times.

HH Charlie

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
read on the coin roll hunting thread that the teller who bought the coins got fired too. i mean really, NOBODY except maybe a crackhead or a thief would be stupid enough to cash in gold coins at face. if the teller was going to try and make out like a bandit and let greed overcome his or her common sense looks like he or she would have had enough smarts to keep quiet about the buy. it reminds me of a similar situation i was told about long ago. a coin collectors kid raided the collection for spending money and went on a little shopping spree---when the surprised parent figured out what had happened (couple of days later) he went to the store and talked with the cashier and manager about it. the cashier said that he did not remember the kid or the coins and the manager referred the collector to his bank. bank employees and manager denied any knowledge too. long story short the coins were never found and no one could prove anything. guess it would be wise to keep our collections under lock and key and also to hide the key

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread