TWIN SISTERS CANNONBALL FOUND?

Feb 24, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was about six months ago (after assisting research of my cousin's book) that my eyebrow raised on the famous "twin sisters". My GG Grampa and Uncle had a lifelong relationship with Sam Houston. Col William Markham would have been in Command of the Pentagon Barracks (Capt at the time) in Baton Rouge when the Twin Sisters were sent there. He was the "Business" partner of John Hill (Hill & Markham Foundry, Baton Rouge) in 1860 when they came looking for the Twins. If you take time to read this short book (google search Markham Brothers from England to North America) on blurb..it becomes more intriguing. The Twin Sisters were re-fit on carriages at the Tunnard Carriage works in Baton Rouge (W.F. Tunnard and General Frederick D. Tunnard); General Frederick Devoo Tunnard being Col William Markham's son in Law. Col Markham had received a commission in Mid 1840's in the Texas/Mexican war via Zachery Taylor (lived across street from each other in Baton Rouge). I hope my family lore doesn't ruffle too many feathers regarding Sam Houston...but my GG Grandpa and GG Uncle were just at too many intersecting points not to have a reason to have been obliged to each other. My GG Aunt settled in Huntsville Tx in 1852 (Esther Markham Taylor). french markham.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread