Twins....

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I made a trip out to the family place over the last few days for a little R&R. Did a little scouting for the upcoming deer season, hunted the creek for artifacts, and swung the coil at the old homesite. ( NW Brown County, Tx.) This is all there is left of it, nothing above ground, but a few things under same...

DSC00428.jpg

I search and search each time I'm out there, because on my very first attempt I got real lucky and pulled an old seated liberty dime. I pictured it about 2 months ago. It was an 1876 with a CC mint.
The place has yielded a boat load of shooting remnants, shell casings from .32 cal, .41 cal, .45-70 and even ball shot. All compliments of my wifes' great granddad, who settled the place back when they were still ducking arrows from the previous landlords. Here are a few from this last trip...

DSC00840.jpg

I really enjoy finding these links with the past. But I have been real disappointed that there has been no other coinage found. There was virtually no money to be had back then. We have letters from the family, dated to when this place was settled, to attest to this fact. T.J. Smith (wifes' great granddad) corresponded with his step-dad, Mr. E.E. Martin back in Horse Creek Alabama, in Walker County and from kin then in Lumpkin County, Ga. dated to 1870's that go into detail about the scarcity of cash in those early days.
Well, imagine then, how surprised I was, when the SE keyed on a sweet spot not 200 feet from the first and only other coin find. Are you as totally unprepared for this as I was? A second seated liberty dime. Same year and mint mark...twins, if you will.
Here is a pic of the twins reunited after all these many years.

DSC00838.jpg

DSC00839.jpg

I am still whooping it up. You probably have heard me if you were within a few surrounding states. The second is a little more worn and with a nasty "old gash" but who the heck cares? This is no beauty contest for uncirculated coinage. These have been in the dirt for 133 years.
You could not pay me any price for these. They are mint as far as I'm concerned. I told the wife, "Here, hold what your great granddad, who you never even met, probably had in his pocket many, many years ago." And imagine what his wife Molly had to say when he lost them.
That is what I love about this hobby. Nothing else compares!

Good luck to you,
BW

Upvote 0

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice seated there congrats.

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! your the man! Kane 23

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
them are nice ones :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a great story and great pictures. The scarcity of coins at that site, and who they belonged to, makes them so much greater a find. Although CC mintmark seated dimes at any place would be cause for celebration, as far as I'm concerned.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Great Digs!

Wonderful story!

Congrats on the twins! Nicely done!

What a great connection to family history.
Thank you so much for posting!

Good Luck,
Mark

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Now that is really something special. I hope you played the lotto the day you found that twin!

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very good,,,,nice twins.

eggbag

Mar 17, 2008
Great story and finds! I am yet to find any type of seated coin, I can't even get my mutt to sit half the time.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, :hello:

Wow !!! :o You stole my coin and cloned it.... :tongue3:

Nice finds and post !! :icon_thumleft:

Heres mine... :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH!! :D ;D

Attachments

• park5 001.jpg
    park5 001.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 516
  • park5 002.jpg
    park5 002.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 513
  • park5 001.jpg
    park5 001.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 520
  • park5 002.jpg
    park5 002.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 510

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent hunt!

BTW, your first photo is a wonderful study and really
expresses your feelings about your family's past history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread