Twitchs 2nd year finds

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Twitch's 2nd year finds

Here's a case of my better finds from 2001. I have another larger case from '01 but the quality is lower. The drill at bottom center is 4-1/4". This is my 2nd nicest drill, and also my longest. These are all personal finds from western Kentucky and southern Illinois. The three points at in the center and the drill below them are some of my favorites. The Copena is one of the 2 or 3 best made points in my collection. The point to the right of the Copena has parallel oblique flaking on the back side. Any thoughts on type would be interesting to here. It was found in So Illinois on a multi component site, though it was primarily late Woodland. Found Dalton and Madison and everything in between. Found less than a mile from the Baumer site. 8 of pictured points were found on that site.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• P1100506.JPG
    P1100506.JPG
    406.2 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds. It is hard to see how that drill survived. I like the copena as well. Are you thinking classic or shield? I have one similar but near as nice as that one. All very nice.What is the type below the copena?

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any worked artifact is special to me. Probably cause most of mine are field grade or less :icon_thumleft:. Those are above what I find.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Very nice finds. It is hard to see how that drill survived. I like the copena as well. Are you thinking classic or shield? I have one similar but near as nice as that one. All very nice.What is the type below the copena?

Tnmountains - I found the drill in a driving rain storm up high on a bank and was completely paranoid that I was going to slip, fall and break it. Fortunately I didn't. I don't know what sub-type on the Copena. I only ever found two of them and don't really know the difference between the sub types. I think the point below the Copena is a late Paleo point. It has a little flute on the front and is parallel flaked. The base isn't ground and I've never seen the material before. I've had a number of people suggest it's a Woodland point that is basally thinned. It certainly could be that. I call it a Paleo point mainly for two reasons - first the flaking and material look right and second I like the thought of it being a Paleo point.

Thanks for looking.

Rock - as far as field grade points go, I found 12 of these in plowed fields in 2001. Of course the plow does a lot of damage there are still very high quality points to be found in there.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have broken things before :( That lower point in question did look old. The shield copena does kinda look like a shield towards the bottom. May I post another Copena for comparison?

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beautiful case Joe ! Love that drill, and that fluted point sure looks like it has Paleo characteristics...

Rich.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice frame of heads...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread