Two 1885 Liberty Nickels and Newspaper Article

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its always nice when you can find key date coins. Here are two that I found. The first one was found in 1981 (only have a pic. of the obverse).
The second one was found a couple years ago at a sidewalk replacement project.
There are two interesting stories about finding the second coin.

1) This coin was found under a sidewalk that was in front of a coin shop. The shop owner asked if I found anything good. I told him that I had just found a 1885 V Nickel. He looked at it and offered me $125 on the spot. (I didn't sell it). Then my detecting buddy dug up a really nice 1867 2 cent piece. The guy offered him $20 for that one, so my buddy tossed it to him, and didn't throw too good. The guy jumped up to catch the coin so that it didn't hit the ground.

2) The V Nickel was found closer to the building where the sand under the sidewalk was not as deep. As we got closer to the street, the sand got deeper, and the signals dissappeared, so we got out a shovel and removed layers of sand. (Approximately 10 feet by 3 feet). Just in that area we got a total of 26 coins, the newest on being an 1893 Barber dime.

Attachments

• 1885 V nickel.jpg
    1885 V nickel.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 438
  • 010706 006.jpg
    010706 006.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 402
  • 010706 008.jpg
    010706 008.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 401
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bk

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the newspaper article.

Attachments

• Farmington.jpg
    Farmington.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 454
Z

ZumbroKid

It's about time you posted these! I told you what they are worth in G grade. What is the total of all your V Nickles you have dug?

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let me guess....B and friend....the friend must be the infamous FreetoSon. Is that the buddy that didn't throw too good? Just a guess.

Interesting story. Thanks, BK.

OP
OP
bk

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
haupin said:
Let me guess....B and friend....the friend must be the infamous FreetoSon.? Is that the buddy that didn't throw too good?? Just a guess.

Interesting story.? Thanks, BK.
Good guess, but no, it wasn't Free. I didn't meet him until 2004. This coin was found in 2000.
Its interesting that you should ask because when I met Free, he was hunting in LaCrosse where they had a sidewalk out.
He had the same idea of using a shovel to move some of the sand out of the sidewalk as I did.
He grabbed a shovel and cleared out a very small area, maybe 2"X2' and found a nice Liberty nickel.
His coin would not have been found it he didn't clear away some of the sand from under the sidewalk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions