Two Advanced Detectors For Land and Sea, One VLF and One PI Needed?

GrievousAngel

Greenie
Feb 8, 2013
GA and CO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I like the Minelab & Garrett detectors because they seem to be into newer technologies to expand product choices. Anyways ... with the exception of finding the smaller gold nuggets and flakes, and I think I need 'Two Advanced Detectors For Land and Sea, One VLF and One PI'. I figure, that a good detector to locate the smaller gold/silver/platinum will likely require a 3rd detector. I am not sold on the idea that ONE detector can handle all types of detecting at higher levels of performance ... even the GTX4800/5000 doesn't like water. I am trying to stay within a $2500 budget, thinking I can get a 3rd detector later if needed. So, maybe a $1000 VLF and a $1000 PI is reasonable.

I seem to think that the Safari w/ FBS (VLF) will do an excellent job on land with the exception of small precious metals like gold flakes at deeper depths, and maybe a Garrett Infinium LS will do the deeper task on land/sea. Buying new/demos/used detectors and a few coils, the $2500 budget will done. The CTX3030 looks excellent as does the GPX 4800, even the future unknown Garrett 'Extreme' (as it's known these days), but the $2500 budget is shot, if I still need two detectors! I guess my thinking is reasonable ...

My concerns lie in the fact that I am new to this hobby, therefore not very knowledgeable in terms of real world use, and since I tend to go for the 'top drawer' gear, I could easily spend the $2500 unwisely ... So, please comment and make suggestions. I don't have to have the newest gear, IF the older model detector is solid for the job intended.

Thanks for everyone's time,

Billy

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I chose the Tesoro Tejon for land, and the Tesoro Sand Shark for saltwater. Both paid for themselves within seven-months. Just something to think about. Good Luck!

OP
OP
G

GrievousAngel

Greenie
Feb 8, 2013
GA and CO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will look into the Tesoro detectors. Thx, billy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry gave you excellent advice. The Tejon for land is awesome. I use the Tejon as well as the Sov GT as the Sov GT is the best for dry and wet sand beaches. The Sand Shark is the deepest but like all PI's they lack iron disc so you will often wear yourself out digging very deep holes for pieces of a hair pin.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it all depends on your idea of advanced, for me Tesoro doesn't come to mind.

OP
OP
G

GrievousAngel

Greenie
Feb 8, 2013
GA and CO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What brands do you consider more advanced?

Billy

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What brands do you consider more advanced?

Billy
Personally I like a detector that can be ran with little to no disc and still have multitone id and some sort of visual id also. Tone id being more important. That's how I run my explorer and t2. Many other brands are the same. I bought a Tesoro vaquero and was disappointed it only has one tone for everything. Some use them and love them but not me. You asked about advanced and one tone, no visual id or depth is not advanced to me.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I like a detector that can be ran with little to no disc and still have multitone id and some sort of visual id also. Tone id being more important. That's how I run my explorer and t2. Many other brands are the same. I bought a Tesoro vaquero and was disappointed it only has one tone for everything. Some use them and love them but not me. You asked about advanced and one tone, no visual id or depth is not advanced to me.

The Vaquero is not on Join NRA.JPG the same playing field as the Explorer or T2. You have to move up to the top three in the line up.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread