Two AMAZING pieces from Paterson N.J. in a week...

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I mainly post in the Bottle section, but this week I came across two super items that I never expected to find, and to top it off I also have the matching photographs that go with them. I went to the Allentown PA Firematic show because I was told there were several Paterson F.D. badges and helmets, turns out that was total BS. On my way out to the car someone who I spoke with on Facebook called me right as I was getting in my car, turned out she had a silver loving cup trophy dating to the 1923 5th Annual Mayor's Day 1 Mile Relay Race between the Paterson P.D. & Paterson F.D., so we met in the parking lot and made a deal for the trophy.

My main focus is Paterson F.D. badges and photos, and for some reason the winning team was never engraved into the trophy, but I knew I could go to the library and find out who won. Best part at that stage was I found out the F.D. won the race, then as I was looking thru a P.B.A. Ball book I realized it had the photo of the winning team, and dead center in the middle of the photo is my trophy on a small wooden stand, which blew my mind.

A week later an 1894 Tug Of War medal ended on Ebay and I won it, it was for the Paterson N.J. City Championship and engraved with A.A.C. in the middle band of the medal. Again I looked thru the P.B.A. Ball book and sure enough there was the photo of the 4 men tug of war team that won the 1893 & 1894 championships, as you can see in the photo they were named the Active Athletic Club(A.A.C.). So not only did I end up with the trophy and the medal, I also have the photos that go with them ID'ing each member and the stories from newspapers for the Relay Race. Now I have to find the story from 1894 regarding the tug of war, thanks for looking... Jim

p.s.
I wish I knew why the F.D. didn't have the loving cup engraved after their win, that'll remain a mystery forever

aavn1.jpg
aavn1a.jpg
aatrackteam1923.jpg
atro2.jpg
aatugx.jpg
aatugx1a.jpg
aatug april 6 1894.jpg
aatug april 6 1894a.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool.
Every time i hear Patterson N.J., I always think of that dylan song....
'pistol shots ring out in a bar room night, enter patty valentine from the upper hall....
He sees a bartender in a pool of blood, calls out my god they've killed 'em all'

I'd bet being a cop or fireman in Patterson New Jersey in 1923 was a tough and dangerous gig.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, and great research. Its always nice to put a story with the item

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread