AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am considering a 2-box detector for a possible cache recovery and wondered if anyone had any personal experience with them?

Am I correct in thinking;

It will ignore ALL surface target whether trash or gold?
It will detect targets the size of a tennis ball and bigger only?

Also, how is the "pin-pointing"? how close can I get to the true target area?

I assume they are NOT waterproof?

thanks!!!

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
BVI hunter, I'll take a stab at your questions:

I've only used the TM-808 (but I assume the other 2-box units are similar): It can not differentiate "trash" versus "gold. It simply beeps on metal, regardless of composition. Hence it has no "discrimination" per se (however, nor does ANY detector differentiate between "trash" and "gold" anyhow. They merely read conductivity, not composition. Just to set the record straight :))

And no, it does not ignore all "surface" targets, unless the surface target is small. The targets it "ignores", is anything smaller than about a tobacco tin. So if a flattened soda can or tobacco tin sized item were just under the surface, yes you would hear those. So it's not that it "ignores" items at a "certain depth", but rather, it's ignoring items based on size, not their depth.

In my opinion, the benefit of the 2-box unit was not so much for the depth it affords. Because when you think of it: SO TOO can a standard detector get a soda can to well over a foot deep. Or a tool-box or hubcab sized item to 2 or 3 ft. or better, blah blah blah. For this reason, a lot of people will suggest simply using a standard detector for cache hunting, which can often-time equally get big objects deeper. And the rationalization is that ..... at least with a standard machine, you can go "back and forth" between coin-sized object hunting, and big object hunting.

HOWEVER, my experience is that if you are truly hunting for a cache, and if you are in an area riddled with regularly occurring household/homestead type debri, then you are much better off with a 2-box unit. NOT because of any supposed depth it adds, but merely so that you are not bedevilled with all the little stuff (you know, pesky individual coins, pulltabs, nails, etc....). Because the 2-box unit simply doesn't even hear individual little targets like that. It only hears the bigger items. So it's sort of the "perfect discriminator" to put your time best spent on the item you are distinctly looking for.

If you try to use a standard machine, and try to tell yourself "I'll simply ignore signals from all small items", it will be an exercise in frustration. Because you'll be constantly trying to mentally evaluate big vs little endlessly. You know, like how a soda can at a foot *might* sound like a quarter at 1", etc... The 2-box unit takes all that guessing game out of it, and you only hear the big items. Ideally soda can sized or larger. But with fine-tuning and close-listening, I've found objects as small as domino sized, or butter-knife and/or tobacco tin sized. But that's the smallest it can be refined to find. Normally (without super tuning) it's not going to find objects smaller than about a soda can.

As for water-proof, I haven't heard of any 2-box machines that are made in a water-proof package.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks so much Tom - great answer!

yes, I don't need to worry about surface trash, the place I'm heading for has not really been visited by anyone at all in modern times!!

thanks for the info - I just need to narrow it down to which machine now!

thanks

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that case, I think I would start with a standard detector and see what small targets you find first before I started digging for the big targets. If you KNOW that the target is big and deep, then by all means, get the two box and have at it. The White's TM808 is a fine machine for that. If the site is trash free, the target 2' or less and the size of a coffee can, I would rather use a good detector with a big coil. Especially if there are metal buildings, vehicles, plumbing, etc nearby.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In that case, I think I would start with a standard detector and see what small targets you find first before I started digging for the big targets. If you KNOW that the target is big and deep, then by all means, get the two box and have at it. The White's TM808 is a fine machine for that. If the site is trash free, the target 2' or less and the size of a coffee can, I would rather use a good detector with a big coil. Especially if there are metal buildings, vehicles, plumbing, etc nearby.

thanks!!

zero chance of any utilities - this place is uninhabited!!

been over twice with my PI - but am after a "target" deeper down!!

thanks all!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Ok here's my experience on this. I use an old Hays 2 Box that I picked up used. 2 Boxes are simple instruments, but you have to know how to set them up. I prefer the older ones with separate transmit & receive units. I can get a finer tune out of them. My Hays will go down at least 6' as verified by actual finds. It will also pick up a cache in a wall at over 6' away also verified by a find. It won't pickup items smaller than a softball. As far as pinpointing, when I just get the signal, The target is just under my heels. There is also a way of telling the depth of the target by tilting the unit, but it is hard to explane. I learned this from an old Whites 500cx 2 Box that I use to have. It had a built in angle gauge to use for this. Well that should get you started. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg Because of your location there is one more fact that you should know. They don't do well on beaches!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Frankn!!

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, Frankn / Tom / anyone else.....

if you had to choose any two box detector, what would it be?? I see a number of models but not sure which to go for??

the whites looks good??

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
dunno. I only ever used the TM-808. But ironically, unlike standard metal detectors ..... you DON'T want one that is "more sensitive". The very nature of their purpose is to *only* find big objects. So ironically, the more sensitive they are ..... they begin to defeat their own purpose. So really then, ones from the 1950s or '60s might be every bit as good as the ones today. But as to your question, can't help you, as I've only ever used the TM-808.

In the particular instance I was using it for, we didn't know the size of the rumored cache. It *might* have been small like softball or tobacco tin sized. So despite the fact I was finding objects "smaller than soda cans", it didn't bother me. However, on the other hand, I did get bedevilled by 100+ objects of junk in that size range (forks, spoons, slag, sardine cans, etc....). So ...... it all depends.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks Tom!!

so far I am leaning towards the whites. its OK with sandy /mineralized locations, yes?

as for trash, that's OK, as the last people to have stepped where I am heading in any great numbers, should have been guys with one wooden leg and eye patches.... Arrrgg!!

thanks again for your advice!!!

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BVi , I wish I could come help you . ( I know what your currently working on ) I have the 25 inch coil for my XLT . It turns inches into feet . Up to 9ft depth . Good luck on your current adventure and when your done , we want to see pics please ....:thumbsup:

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BVi , I wish I could come help you . ( I know what your currently working on ) I have the 25 inch coil for my XLT . It turns inches into feet . Up to 9ft depth . Good luck on your current adventure and when your done , we want to see pics please ....:thumbsup:

That's like the Monster Truck equivalent of coils!!!!

this new "thing" is connected to the "other" thing!!

will send pics from my new Super Yacht.......:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread