Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is possible. I don't think it is a good way to do a search as of the dive time spent checking out trash items, but if your looking for Spanish Treasure the results could be worth it. However I don't know if a two box unit is that water proof.

Sandman

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Hmmm, I don't belive there are any water proof models.
I was looking for a way to detect a larger target from the surface of the water before getting a diver invloved.
I belive I was also told a two box wont bother as much with smaller coin sized items or junk, but maybe a sack full of coins?
Being in Minnesota, i hear they have been known to detect objects through the ice.(not that I'd go after them yet Burrr)

PS, I don't expect to find spanish treasure in minnesota.....but I'll keep an eye out!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had some experience trying to find snowmobiles that went thru the ice during the winter. Mostly you had to find the gereral area on the surface and dive for it when the ice was safe. Garrett used to make a 12 inch coil with a 30 foot cable that we used to try to locate objects on the bottom, but you didn't know if it was the snowmobile or a pop can and had to dive anyway. Lots easier and warmer in spring and you could use lift bags to float it up and tow it ashore. Repair costs must have been costly. A two box wouldn't send a signal from the surface to the bottom from the surface.

Sandman

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Hmmm I may have to rethink this. Your saying my idea most likely wont work then?
I've had some say it would/could work to drift over an area with a non metallic boat or tube.
in an area shallow enough to work within the depth capabilities of the detector. 3-10ft?

It sounds like you may have tried something similar but was it actually ever tried with a two box?

Thanks again for all your feedback.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
wetgreenie,
I have an older two-box unit and have tried what you're talking about with no success. I can't speak about the newer models, but my garrett won't pick up anything through the water.
Lot's of other things to try, Sandman is right about the coil and cable, but again you never know what you've found.

grizzly bare

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
I've only used a 2 box on land, it's a must have for large areas. But you might be amazed at what you can see with some of the fish finders on the market today. The one I have on my boat was about $300 and it does all kinds of stuff..3d, zoom, it even shows images in 2 ft of silt sometimes. I've found a sunken fishing boat on the bottom of a lake, with 2 fishing rods still in the rod holders.
You could see it clear as day, also found batteries, and boat motors.
Dano.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread