Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Morning T-Netters!

I was able to get out hunting for a couple of hours yesterday. The snow is finally gone, and the sun actually came out for a few hours. My first decent find was a 1887 seated liberty dime. Second one I have found this year, so that was a nice surprise.

001.JPG

The next target, about 10 feet away was a pretty crusty 1907 barber dime

008.JPG 009.JPG

The highlight of the day ( and year) was finding an intact pocket watch. It was buried at the base of a birch tree. The detail on the watch is quite lovely. I don't think the pictures do it justice. Based on other items recovered in the same area, I'm guessing it dates to the late 1800's or early 1900's. If there are any pocket watch experts out there, I'd love to hear from you. I'm also curious about how to open the watch, or if I should even try. Thanks for looking. HH.

002.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG

Upvote 28

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great silver finds!! Seated baby!!! Well done HH

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the great hunt! :occasion14:

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now there is a signal to blow an ear drum with! Congrats on some real treasures!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anytime you see that One Dime on the back, you know the possibility of Seated is there- 2 in a hunt is great. That pocket watch though, is nothing short of incredible- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Special thanks to Uglymailman for the pocket watch ID link. Now, if I can only find a way to open up the watch that doesn't involve a sledge hammer... HH.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty good hunt to have both a seated and a barber! the watch? well, I think that it rates really high on the very cool factor

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that made my day! Excellent! :thumbsup:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Silvermonkey, if you have a friendly jeweler, I'd take it to them and ask if they can open it. A good one will not charge for that and might be able to I.D. it for you. The only ones I've ever opened were in good shape. Hold it in the palms of your hands and gently try and twist your hands in opposite directions. This will (sometimes,kids don't try this without adult supervision,always use safety equipment)let you unscrew the back off. I have no idea how to get the face off. It dosen't look like a dollar pocket watch for me. Still a good find man. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread