Two eyeball finds while a work....one could be worth big bucks!

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy T-netters! Being armed security doesn't have many perks to say the least. Pay isn't that great, and the job can get boring. However, I had been posted at a recycling center temporarily and today my eyeballs scored.....TWICE! I do patrols every thirty minutes and and look down every so often not to step on the big shard of glass, or the occasional nail. Amongst the smaller shards of glass I spotted a penny that I didn't know was a wheat until I got indoors. Would have never spotted it at night. Skidded up pretty good because of the huge front loaders in the area, but I'll take it. The other find. Came on the next to last round for the day, with a slight breeze. I saw it from about 25 yards away. It was barely moving, so I caught up easily. Discreetly, I picked it up and put it in my pocket. When I got inside....whoa, was I in for a surprise. What the heck is the deal with this bill? I have a small paper money collection and have knowledge, but I'm thinking this is either a case where someone experimented with a chemical as a joke, or it could actually be a color miscue from the US Mint. At the top, it reads UNITED STATES NOTE and is a 1928 series. It is almost identical to the $5 red seal note pictured, except for the yellow seal and serial numbers. It is not a silver certificate/North African Invasion note, 1935 series pictured. There was. 1934 $5 North African Invasion note, but weren't any printed in 1928. Notice the yellow seal is on the right. There were gold certificates printed in 1928, but no $5 bill type. Went to the Internet and typed in several options, but only got the $2 United States Note with yellow seal and serial numbers....which was never identified as an error or a fake. If it is a minting error it surely is a rare one. Anyone got an idea(s)?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 172
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 7

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not in Redbook, assume signed Julian & Snyder? next guess is (ouch) counterfeit.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I figured it out and it is the 1928 $5 Bill with the yellow seal and serial numbers, right? The Bill is likely legit but the seal and serial number coloring were either altered or the Treasury Printing Office workers forgot to change the ink color when they finished a run of $2 Bills and started printing $5 Bills. If a legit Error Note/Bill, it is worth quite a few $5, $10 and $20 Bills!! It would be best to send it to PCGS to see if it is real and if so have it graded and sealed in a Currency holder along with the attribution of the Error which all has to be paid for but might be well worth the cost for this Bill.

Frank

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
take it to a dealer, if he offers you ANY money for it, it is real so hold on to it.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm more curious as to why an old bill was blowing around a recycle center :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm more curious as to why an old bill was blowing around a recycle center :icon_scratch:

I heard from the line leader that employees are not allowed to take any of the money once it appears on the recycling line. It is then considered salvaging and will result in dismissal. Supposedly, two fifty dollar bills showed up on the line. Everyone sighed and just watched them move on. They got bailed up with other paper products and went to whoever the buyer was. They money could have been kept away in a book, magazine, box, envelope, etc. I believe the $5 I have was saved by someone and thrown out because it was overlooked.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope you don't find any email copies that reveal national secrets (snicker, snicker). "salvaging" trash??---man, that would be a serious offense. keep looking, hope that finsky is the real deal and you get VERY LUCKY with that save!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread