Two Firsts for Me in 45+ years of detecting . . .

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First, I've never found a make-up compact that looks like it was never used - this one is from 1920-1925. It was full of makeup, the deteriorated applicator was there and the mirror was broken, but there. Turns out, the little sucker has historical significance! Research revealed this tidbit:

DSCN8132.jpg

This ladies rouge compact was marketed between 1920 and 1925. Makeup compacts are found quite often, but this particular brand holds a noteable place in the history of American marketing.
In what would prove to be an advertising coup, Pompeian Products President Otto Leopold succeeded in signing the famous movie star, Mary Pickford, as "Pompeian Beauty of the Year" in 1917. Her face was used extensively in advertising and promotions for Pompeian products and this prompted other cosmetic manufacturers to start using well-known actresses to endorse their own products. While opera singers and stage personalities had been used as figureheads by other companies, Pompeian was the first to use a movie star. This would be a defining moment in cosmetic advertising as the emerging cosmetics industry meshed with the emerging movie industry to become inextricably linked from that time on.

DSCN8130.jpg

Pretty cool. The other first is this: In all these years of hunting, I've never, ever found a pocket spill. This one is modern, but still. It was enough to buy myself a cold drink at the end of the day. The tubular thing at the rear of the photo is an antique tire pressure gauge. never seen one like it. I was hunting a barnyard over a known Union Camp (Same place I found the unexploded Burton Shell a couple of weeks ago).

Here's the Burton shell, all cleaned up, disarmed and in the case.

DSCN8126.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 33

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice! Ya dun good! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone at some time has to find the compact lol That Burton shell is freakin awesome nice piece for ye ol display case Congrats on a good hunt Tommy

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The intact compact is a very neat find. It's amazing that it managed to survive in the ground all these years. Congrats on your pocket spill too. Next time, I hope they're all silver!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome old personal item, congrats! :occasion14:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest: