Two George coppers and a crotal all in one day

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi all it's been a while. Saturday was spent at home with my daughters 12th Birthday. Sunday my partner A.K.A Woodens went out for a hunt to one of the local fields in my area that we have gained permission to hunt. The day started out slow in this 9 acre field. We managed a total of 4 gallons of aluminum can remnants by the end of the day. It was worth it as I pulled a semi-condition King George ll half penny only 3 inches deep at the same time my partner found his coin of the century :-* About a hour later I pulled a nice little King George ll farthing in better condition, enough to see a date of what I believe is 1740. We moved to another field just behind a local's house (another good guy) and I pulled a wheatie and a cracked crotal bell. Also were a few what's its... It was a great day with great company. Anytime you are in the company of large copper and King George it is a great day. Thanks for looking.

Ed-NH

Attachments

• Dsc04403.jpg
    Dsc04403.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 483
  • Dsc04408.jpg
    Dsc04408.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 505
  • Dsc04409.jpg
    Dsc04409.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 481
  • Dsc04410.jpg
    Dsc04410.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 485
  • Dsc04411.jpg
    Dsc04411.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 505
Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That can slaw can be frustrating but you gotta keep digging it if you want the good stuff. Nothing is more frustrating than digging a bucket full of it and having no good coins to show for it. I'm glad you came away with the coins to show for it Ed. King George makes for a great day and you got to see him twice :o :o. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

jimbob450

Feb 26, 2008
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.
I have seen crotal bells posted before but have no idea
what they were used for. could you please tell me ? Icouldnt
find them in the dictionary either. Are they like a sleighbell?
Thank You, Jimbob

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
jimbob450 said:
Thank You, Jimbob
Yes, they are. I don't know the origin of the crotal word, and I'm too tired to go look at the gdaet big dictionary in the back of the house.
Draft horses' harnesses often had these on them. I expect that one of their main purposes was to let people know that a team & wagon was coming (so as not to get run down in the thoroughfare). If I'm right about that, then the bells were present on more than just sleigh-pulling horse tack.
The bells are bronze and pretty substantial. I'd guess mine weighs about 1/3 of a pound. I keep it in the center console of my car, both as a show 'n' tell item when I'm trying to promote a new site and because I like the occasional jingly-bell sound as I'm driving around.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice coppers,

I have yet to find a george. Got a bunch of LC and others though.

HH Jer

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Yo jimbob450

jimbob450 said:
Thank You, Jimbob

Thank you all for the replies!! Jimbob to add to Admiral's info I believe the crotal bells were also worn on farmers sheep.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
This past weekend was the weekend of the King George Coppers for sure, but a farthing is a rare find! Almost all of the KG coppers found and posted on the site are Halfpennies, including the beauty I found Sunday morning. Here is the link: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,185963.0.html

For the user who asked about the crotal bells, they are also known as sleigh bells, and often are hung in size order. Many are numbered from 1-10 on the front of the bell, with 10 being the largest. Here is a picture...

Attachments

• sleighbells.jpg
    sleighbells.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 275

wodens

Apr 22, 2008
Another great days hunt mate...you did well with the goodies! Can't wait till we hit that area again...I just don't know what else is going to surface 8)

HH
Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread