Two Little Indians! (lots of pics)

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
So after being cooped up all weekend I finally got out and went hunting in town today. My dad and I geared up and started driving to an old abandoned farm house we hadn't seen no trespassing signs on, but when we got up close there were signs posted. Not having permission we decided to go across the street and ask a guy who owned another nearby property that looked promising. The property was an old drive-in movie theater that was recently tore down. There was a pretty nicely mowed entrance left to the theater though. We found out that the owner lived a few houses down, and after crashing his party that was going on in the back yard we got shut down. After chit chatting with him for a while, he said "I would just assume you didn't go out there". Apparently he had given permission to someone before that left big holes! Anyhoo, my dad quickly responded with, "what if we bring you back some silver if we find it?" That changed his tune quick... he waffled a little and then said what the hell go do it.

Permission granted, we boldly drove in past the no trespassing sign and started to work. The sides of the entrance were pretty trashy, but I did manage a birthday dime for my first target. Also got a plated bracelet and pocket knife over there.

Here's a series of pictures of the driveway entrance, panning to the right.

two_little_indians02.jpg

two_little_indians03.jpg

two_little_indians04.jpg

two_little_indians05.jpg

two_little_indians06.jpg

My dad noticed what he thought was a house foundation, but it turned out to be a garage most likely behind a small house that once existed. So he started talking about the front of the house and the back being good spots. I just kept going low and slow all along the side of the driveway and the yard. After he got his fill of the large trees up front, I started over there to get everything he missed. Right away I started getting pennies from the 60's. I knew I was getting close to wheatie dates, but I hadn't dug anything at the 5-6" depth yet, so there was hope yet. I started griding the whole "front" yard and found a '55D wheatie at about 5".

On one of the return trips back up to the trees in front, I got a signal that was solid, but nothing solid in the numbers. I figured it was a penny with something else in the hole... maybe iron. When I dug the hole, right away I found a small rusty finishing nail in the hole.. but the probe was still saying PENNY!!! I scooped out some more dirt and found two coins stuck together! I was excited that they might be two wheaties, but nope... Two Little Indians! My first IH's and what a way to get 'em!! Unfortunately the obverse of both coins were touching each other, which resulted in the corrosion seen below. The reverse of both coins looks great in comparison. I may have to hydrogen peroxide them still.

two_little_indians08.png

two_little_indians09.png

two_little_indians10.png

two_little_indians11.png

two_little_indians12.png

Here's all of my finds for the day:
two_little_indians07.jpg

A pretty cool "With Thanks ... From The American Indian Children" keychain:
two_little_indians13.jpg

This '66 penny was shaved down to the exact size of a dime! CrookS!!
two_little_indians14.jpg

The little truck I found is my oldest yet, 1967!
two_little_indians15.jpg

And last but certainly not least, my dad (looking for IH's!)
two_little_indians16.png

The grass was recently cut NICE AND LOW!

Finds:
1889 Indian Head Penny
1891 Indian Head Penny
1955D Wheatie
1955 Canadian Cent

Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on those IH's...Seems like it turned out to be a great day for you and your dad...Keep it up and will be looking for more posts.

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
I found a bracelet like the one you have pictured and an Indian Bird Pendant like that too....very similar at least.

Great day man! Congrats to you both!

Baldingboy

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
RootMaster said:
This '66 penny was shaved down to the exact size of a dime! CrookS!!
When I was a kid in the late 60's, we used to shave down pennies by rubbing them on the concrete outside until they would work in the 10 cent pinball machine. :D I believe we had to rub the face as well to make it a bit thinner. I loved those pinball machines! ;D It was actually a lot of work and hard on the fingers. Im not condoning any criminal activity but it was the only way we could afford to play. Todays kids are too spoiled to even consider doing something like that. :D :wink:

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
RootMaster said:
My dad and I geared up and started driving to an old abandoned farm house we hadn't seen no trespassing signs on,

I hate to be the one to say it but here goes. Just because it isn't posted doesn't make it public property.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dkw said:
RootMaster said:
My dad and I geared up and started driving to an old abandoned farm house we hadn't seen no trespassing signs on,
I hate to be the one to say it but here goes. Just because it isn't posted doesn't make it public property.

Dude, did you finish reading his story. He did ask for permission.

Nice IH's Rootmaster. Your soil isn't so hard on them.

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
TooManyHobbies said:

Maybe you need to reread the post. He asked for permission at a different site, not the abandoned farmhouse. He implied that they would have hunted the abandoned farmhouse had it not been posted.

btw, I'll forgive the "dude" comment this time. ;D

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dkw said:
TooManyHobbies said:

Maybe you need to reread the post. He asked for permission at a different site, not the abandoned farmhouse. He implied that they would have hunted the abandoned farmhouse had it not been posted.

btw, I'll forgive the "dude" comment this time. ;D

I stand corrected. My apologies......Dudette?? ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread