Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Two men drown On Lido beach Yesterday

Yesterday I was hunting On Lido . Not to many bathers in the water except about 4 people . The surf was pounding big time . I said to my self ,,these guys are crazy for swimming in that kind of surf. The rip tides on Lido beach are really bad . So I Went on about my business and left after an hour of hunting . So watching the 6:00 local news I hear that 2 vacationers were pulled from the water caught in a rip tide on Lido beach, and were not expected to live ... well they passed away this morning .. My point is , If you are going to hunt Lido in the water ,be damned care full. and if you get caught in a rip tide , swim parallel to the beach ,, that's the only way to get out of the rip tide , and don't panic... Guzz1

Upvote 0

Cavedweller

May 6, 2008
Re: Two men drown On Lido beach Yesterday

Good advice Guzz - All the Gulf beaches are cranking right now and I won't go in to deep - You can feel
the undertow pulling at your lower legs and I can see how easy it would be to be swept away in it -
please be careful out there I don't like hearing about people drowning like that especially when it is
easy to prevent - Cavedweller

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:

I saw those guys earlier ,, I'm feeling bad that I didn't give them the heads up on the rip tides. But I tend mind my own business and keep to myself. In this case it was a mistake and I should have warned them , I really feel bad for these guys and there family.. Guzz1

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Don't beat up on yourself. Hind sight is 20/20. Even if you warned them, who is to say that they would have taken your advice. I am a firm believer that if it wasn't meant to be then it wasn't meant to be. Besides, they should have had more common sense than to keep playing in dangerous water. I am sure that they could also feel the pulling on them in the water. It was just their time and when our time comes there is nothing you can do about it. All this will do is next time you see someone in the water and the rip tides are strong you will warn them. Hopefully they will listen.
HH,
Roy

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Guzz it is a very sad thing what happened to them but it is in no way your fault! Do you even know for sure that it was the same men you saw while you were there? Even if it was the same men you are not responsible so please don't beat yourself up over it. Hopefully this will be well enough publicized that folks will be more careful in the future. Take care my friend! ~hugs~

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:

Thanks guys,, Its just a damn shame.. the guys were from Buffalo NY thats all I know.. not sure if they were the same guys ,, I left before the incident had happened . But they were the only ones on the beach,,, guzz1

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

guzz had a similar event happen when teaching a old freind how to use her water machine --she said the waves were pulling at her --I said well come on out of the water then cuz;'s the sea is hungry -- we left a couple hours later after hunting wet sand /dry sand -- later the news reported a man drowned --going after his son --(who lived thru the ordeal) they were not used to undertows and paniced trying to fight it rather than go with it and swimming across the beach to get free of it --nothing you can do ---it happens sadly --- Ivan

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:

Just  got  the  update  .... These  guys  WERE NOT  THE ONES  I  SAW At  the  BEach. it was  at  bradenton beach NOT LIDO,,,  news got  it  wrong ,,,,, big  lesson learned  however . Don't  be  to  shy  to  warn someone  of  the dangers  of  these waters  if  getting  a little  to  brave  in the  big surf,,, you  could  save  a  life ..  guzz1

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry to hear that Guzz. I know that you feel bad but people do crazy things and in most if not all cases, they have some idea that it may be dangerous or at least cause them some major issues. I looked at the surf at Clearwater this morning on the Web Cam and it was pounding and low and behold right there in the middle of it were about 5 people well out over waist deep. I don't believe there was a lifeguard present because I know that they would have been told to get out.

Take care and I hope to see you guys if the group hunt happens.

Jim

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Wow, the water is normally so tame in Bradenton beach. Rarely hear of drownings on Anna Maria island.

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:

Yea , Same Here Jim,,,,,, try to make it ,,, will have good time ... haven't heard from RDI lately ,, Hope he's ok..

cntydacr1,,,This happen just South of annamaria Island the surf has been busting Bigtime here all week. Its time to really be careful , not let your guard down ,,,The rip tides are really bad here ...
safe hunting all guzz1

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

guzz1 said:
Just got the update .... These guys WERE NOT THE ONES I SAW At the BEach. it was at bradenton beach NOT LIDO,,, news got it wrong ,,,,, big lesson learned however . Don't be to shy to warn someone of the dangers of these waters if getting a little to brave in the big surf,,, you could save a life .. guzz1

Glad to hear that....only because of your peace of mind...any life lost is sad but I know you were worried you should have said something. You are a good man my friend, and it is great you are letting folks know to warn others.....of course they may not listen but you can't control them, only do what you can. You make sure and stay safe though!

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:

The next time anyone sees me detecting in the water please don't laugh at the inner tube sifter attached to my belt. While in the service in France, Four guys went swimming at the beach.
I was the only one to survive. A rip current grabbed us and pulled us way out. Knowing how to body surf was the only thing that saved me.

Using caution is nothing to be shy about.

I really don't want to hear about losing any more friends due to thinking you'll look like a sissy for using a flotation devise.

The bumper sticker that says "shiite happens" is true.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

guzz1 said:
Yesterday I was hunting On Lido . Not to many bathers in the water except about 4 people . The surf was pounding big time . I said to my self ,,these guys are crazy for swimming in that kind of surf. The rip tides on Lido beach are really bad . So I Went on about my business and left after an hour of hunting . So watching the 6:00 local news I hear that 2 vacationers were pulled from the water caught in a rip tide on Lido beach, and were not expected to live ... well they passed away this morning .. My point is , If you are going to hunt Lido in the water ,be damned care full. and if you get caught in a rip tide , swim parallel to the beach ,, that's the only way to get out of the rip tide , and don't panic... Guzz1
When caught in a rip tide and you recognize that you are being taken out because your efforts to return to shore are not working, swimming parallel is good advice but more is needed. Swimming strictly parallel will not get you any closer to the shore and you'll continue being taken out. You have to make angled attempts to the beach while continuing to swim ahead so that you make some progress in coming in. I found that out when I got caught in a rip tide and the beach looked sooo far away and no one noticed me being taken out.

Straight ahead but with every other stroke angle in towards the beach. A distance away and you'll be walking on the sand grateful for keeping your head.

Silver Fox

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Montauk3 said:
The next time anyone sees me detecting in the water please don't laugh at the inner tube sifter attached to my belt. While in the service in France, Four guys went swimming at the beach.
I was the only one to survive. A rip current grabbed us and pulled us way out. Knowing how to body surf was the only thing that saved me.

Using caution is nothing to be shy about.

I really don't want to hear about losing any more friends due to thinking you'll look like a sissy for using a flotation devise.

The bumper sticker that says "shiite happens" is true.

Make fun of you?? sheesh, not on your life! I would be over there askin about it and looking it over so I could have TWO when I went out! :wink: Very good idea and handy with sifting the finds too I am sure!

OP
OP
guzz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:

Makes great sense silverfox ,,Anything that you guys can add would be great help to each and everyone of us who work the water and just might save our lives one day .. I think this has been a very worthwhile topic . You all be safe ..guzz1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread