Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I finally got permission to md a old farm that has been torn down. The house has been gone for nearly 40yrs but the barns were still active until last year. Dairy barn, Tobaco barn, and I've read that the owners would have a big dance thing and music and invite the whole town.

In this first picture taken in the 1950's there's a Ice Cream shop and restaurant in the lower right corner that burned down in the 1970's. The only remaining buildings up until this summer was the barns. I have marked the pic in red as the erea I was constricted to. it may seem like a large area but there was hardly any good signals. All too deep I guess. Tons of junk though ::)

It's all gone now. Unfortunately the new land owner has bulldozed and leveled the main area and requested that I only md the area that he has worked. So when I got there he had dozed from just to the left of the ice cream shop and pushed all the dirt and fill to the left. By the time it reached the area of the old house at far left in the pic, he had it 3ft deep with fill :crybaby2:

I detected what I could and managed a wheat cent then I came up with a 1910 Barber Dime in the area of the big barns front enterance. Although I nice find for me, I'm really bummed that everything is 2-3ft buried. I covered the entire area well and just couldn't find anything!

The new land owner also has the adjacent corn field to the right (not shown in pic). That field used to be some kind of oval horse track.I'm not sure how it was used, for horse training I think. He gave me permission to field hunt and this week the corn was harvested so away I went! It's a pretty clean field that's for sure but I found another silver there! :icon_thumright:

A nice 1875 Seated Dime, I don't see too man of these in my hunts. I've gone back a few times but not finding anything else so I guess I'll move on. I think we'll have a early winter and my honey do list needs to be attended to still. At least I have silver! :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• old dairy.gif
    old dairy.gif
    474.6 KB · Views: 328
  • 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 331
Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Nice Seated! Good details, looks like complete LIBERTY! Rarely found in that nice condition.

I think you are right to guess there's more there. I'd be hunting that pile of dozed dirt myself: no telling what might turn up, and it's already concentrated, so to speak. Did the Seated turn up at the corn field? If so, oval might have used for impromptu races as well: favorite pasttime in the 1870's here in OR, and a great place to find gold coins!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread