Two Permissions and a Pleasant Suprise

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I left the house yesterday to hunt a site I have been researching. Got their, geared up, and was tried to walk to the areas where the structures once stood in the late 1800's. Half way to the 1st site I found the mud to be 6 inches deep or deeper in spots. :BangHead: Too muddy to hunt yet. So off to a permission I had hunted a couple times before. Pulled over 60 targets yesterday. This site has produced a 50% silver Kennedy half and the 4 wheat penny cache in an old compact. I figured that I'd grid it and go in a different direction. Pulled a few green wheats , the 3rd one was 9 inches deep. I missed these on 2 previous hunts. 1st hunt I used my White's Classic ID (back-up/loaner detector) since the F75 LTD SE was gone for repair. The 2nd hunt I used F75 LTD SE with the stock DD coil and still missed these targets. The 15" x 12" S.E.F. coil gave me a good target ID. The coil is heavy but well worth it. :icon_thumleft: I also pulled a 50% silver coin, a 1968 Canadian dime. The 2 wheats are dated 1916 & 1958.

I then went to a huge house built in 1900 and got permission to hunt for 2 hours. :thumbsup: Was hopping for some silver, but none were found in the limited hunt. The 2 oldest coins were wheat pennies (1918 & 1948).

When I arrived home I brushed the coins off using water and a tooth brush for the photo. I also use backing soda on the green wheats so I can read their dates. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 3rd wheat from the 1st site was actually a 1890 IHP. :hello2:

1890 IHP
20150711_160949.jpg

All Targets (less the trash)
20150711_161445.jpg

As always, hope ya'll got out and swung the coil.

GL & HH

Upvote 30

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet hunt!!

That must have been great seeing that wheat turn into a IH!!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always nice to see those green Indians!!!!! Good luck with getting the shinny ones next!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco, you always do well during your searches. How often do you get out per week?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice hunt an Indian Head cent in the clean-up is a nice bonus! Congratulations.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco, you always do well during your searches. How often do you get out per week?
Last season was every weekend (all weekend avg'd about 9 hrs a day) and a few 2 hour evenings a week. This years I get out about 12 hours a week, mostly weekends. I do sneak in a week night once every 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all that posted and liked. :thumbsup: Isn't this the best hobby ever!!!!:headbang:

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I left the house yesterday to hunt a site I have been researching. Got their, geared up, and was tried to walk to the areas where the structures once stood in the late 1800's. Half way to the 1st site I found the mud to be 6 inches deep or deeper in spots. :BangHead: Too muddy to hunt yet. So off to a permission I had hunted a couple times before. Pulled over 60 targets yesterday. This site has produced a 50% silver Kennedy half and the 4 wheat penny cache in an old compact. I figured that I'd grid it and go in a different direction. Pulled a few green wheats , the 3rd one was 9 inches deep. I missed these on 2 previous hunts. 1st hunt I used my White's Classic ID (back-up/loaner detector) since the F75 LTD SE was gone for repair. The 2nd hunt I used F75 LTD SE with the stock DD coil and still missed these targets. The 15" x 12" S.E.F. coil gave me a good target ID. The coil is heavy but well worth it. :icon_thumleft: I also pulled a 50% silver coin, a 1968 Canadian dime. The 2 wheats are dated 1916 & 1958.

I then went to a huge house built in 1900 and got permission to hunt for 2 hours. :thumbsup: Was hopping for some silver, but none were found in the limited hunt. The 2 oldest coins were wheat pennies (1918 & 1948).

When I arrived home I brushed the coins off using water and a tooth brush for the photo. I also use backing soda on the green wheats so I can read their dates. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 3rd wheat from the 1st site was actually a 1890 IHP. :hello2:

1890 IHP
View attachment 1186387

All Targets (less the trash)
View attachment 1186388

As always, hope ya'll got out and swung the coil.

GL & HH
Great find LD! I couldn't get out because I'm getting ready to put my house up for sale. But, on the way home from the storage unit I saw someone cutting grass on a house I've been trying to get permission to hunt for 5 months. I stopped by and was successful. Now I just need to find the time to search it (small yard, but built in 1913).

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff man! Too dang hot around here for me to get out and do some detecting right now.

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice IH...that is still one that I would love to find. Get out while you can on the North Coast as that darn white stuff will be here before you know it :)

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOCO SEEMS YOU NEVER STAY HOME. AND EVERYTIME YOU POST YOUR FINDS I HAVE TO COME UP WITH MORE RYHMES . NICE INJUN.

Mikecoy

Jan 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great little suprise!!! Only ever found three of those.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find LD! I couldn't get out because I'm getting ready to put my house up for sale. But, on the way home from the storage unit I saw someone cutting grass on a house I've been trying to get permission to hunt for 5 months. I stopped by and was successful. Now I just need to find the time to search it (small yard, but built in 1913).

Thanks man, the IHP was a pleasant surprise and gave me a good keeper. Sorry to hear you had a lull in detecting, I think I'd get at minimum 2 hrs a week, busy as heck or not. You need some "ME" time. This new permission is just what the doctor orders.. Good Luck and go pull a barber or SLQ!!!:headbang:

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Loco always love finding the IHP's.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Loco - Looks like you have some really great sites to hunt! I knew you would like that big coil! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread