lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
http://www.sltrib.com/news

"Two plead guilty in artifacts trafficking
By Patty Henetz
The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 03/30/2010 12:56:42 AM MDT

A Moab man who sold archaeological artifacts to a confidential source working for the FBI three years ago pleaded guilty Monday to two felonies - and so did the woman who brought the two men together.

Brent Bullock, 61, admitted to U.S. District Judge Dale Kimball that he illegally sold a blanket scrap, a digging tool and a fire board to the federal source and offered to sell ceramic figurines, all of which were stolen from public land. Moab resident Tammy Shumway, 40, who introduced the undercover operative to Bullock, also pleaded guilty to two felonies. Bullock and Shumway are the third and fourth defendants of 26 netted in a sweeping raid on June 10. The arrests followed a 2½-year probe into illegal artifacts-trafficking across the Four Corners region, an investigation stained by the suicides of two defendants and the source himself, Ted Gardiner of Salt Lake County.

Bullock and Shumway are scheduled for sentencing July 7. They face maximum potential fines of $500,000 each, plus up to 10 years in prison. After the hearing, federal officials declined to say whether they expect further guilty pleas in the case. But defense attorney Earl Xaiz told Kimball he discussed the impact of Gardiner's March 1 suicide with Bullock and determined the prosecutors had enough evidence to convict even without Gardiner's court testimony.

"They have other witnesses in our case," Xaiz said after the hearing. Gardiner, a successful business executive with extensive ties
Advertisement
to the Salt Lake City business community, was an artifacts dealer when he contacted the FBI in 2006 and offered to go undercover to stop illegal trade. Fitted with an audio-visual device and observed by other agents, he recorded thousands of hours of conversations and transactions with dealers in Utah, Colorado and New Mexico. Xaiz said Bullock displayed the blanket scrap, fire board and digging tool in a frame on his living-room wall where anyone could see them, but Bullock did not dig them up himself.

"He never offered to sell them to anyone before," Xaiz said. "It was a financial issue ... He was introduced to someone who was looking for things to buy."

Though Kimball characterized Shumway's part in the crime as a "minor role," because she abetted the transaction, she's just as guilty, said her lawyer, Fred Metos.

Bullock also admitted trying to get Gardiner to buy the figurines, which court papers say Bullock reckoned could be up to 2,500 years old. Xaiz said Gardiner didn't buy them, nor did the figurines turn up in a search of Bullock's house.

Bullock declined to comment when he left the courthouse with Xaiz. Shumway - the widow of Earl Shumway, convicted 15 years ago of looting graves for artifacts to sell - also declined comment as she left the courthouse alone.'

Upvote 0

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
More to come for sure. BLM and the NPS just got mega bucks for investigations and enforcement. Their hiring many more agents across the country. Check USAJOBS.com if you want to apply. This kind of enforcement will be a commonality in the near future in all parts of the USA. Unfortunately in my lifetime the buying and selling of artifacts will probably be prohibited, the writing is on the wall. If they can pass healthcare against the will of the majority they can certainly do the aforementioned. Has anyone heard of Preservation Magazine? They had a big article about this very subject a couple months ago.

OP
OP
L

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14791719
" Another southern Utah defendant in the federal investigation of illegal artifacts trafficking has scheduled a plea-change hearing.

Blanding resident Dale Lyman, 76, is set to appear April 23 before U.S. District Magistrate Judge Samuel Alba in Moab, according to a court filing, and may plead guilty to three felonies arising from possession and sale of prehistoric tribal artifacts stolen from public and tribal lands in San Juan County.

If Lyman does admit guilt, he will be the fifth to do so out of more than two dozen suspects netted in last summer's raid and the sixth in the overall investigation."

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14796205
"Police documents recount final moments before source in artifacts case killed himself

By Erin Alberty

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 03/31/2010 07:42:02 PM MDT

A police officer fired on Ted Gardiner before Gardiner shot himself, according to police reports released Wednesday.

Unified Police Department investigation reports, though heavily redacted, give detailed accounts of events leading up to the March 1 suicide of the key witness in a sweeping federal artifacts-trafficking case. "

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Spooky said:
thirty7 said:
I doubt anyone would even know about this fiasco but lostcauses feels the need to keep bringing it up.

Need I point out the IRONY here?

:laughing9:

lol, I read you loud and clear. Kind of unusual attitude for someone who buys and SELLS artifacts and relics.

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Spooky in a big way. There are so many things that are more pressing in the national interest. It's a shame to hear of such things. G.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
thirty7 said:
I doubt anyone would even know about this fiasco but lostcauses feels the need to keep bringing it up.

I'm glad lostcauses keeps us in the loop... I'd say it's pretty important for collectors to understand what's happening out there.

OP
OP
L

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
thirty7 said:

This is a tragedy. What is it over?
Well Indian artifacts.

Three dead so far. Folks have lost entire collections, and out money. Why?? Because the chose to deal in, and or steal artifact from public lands.

One of these cases involves just arrowheads.

Non of these people would have been in trouble if they stayed to the basics. It is not yours if you don't have the permission to take it.
This is one of the basic rules of relic hunting that is ignored. It is a line that any one in relic hunting, artifact hunting or treasurer hunting should be able to see.

The result of this mess is that any one out collecting, even if staying in the law will be suspected of looting.

I am sure some folks would not want to hear about this stuff, If you don't; put me on ignore..

If any one reading here is going across that line of the law, Ask your self this;
Are you for an artifact, willing to lose your collection, the money it will cost in fines and an attorney.
Also the not being able to set foot on public lands, and most likely probation. It can get you a felony charge which means you lose rights such as fire arms. It can cost you a great deal

Yes I can already hear it: I wont get caught.
Wrong statement. I tell the kids some thing, when they do stupid things. It only takes once. In this case a there are a few that this is the second time.

rant off.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
lostcauses said:
thirty7 said:

Well Indian artifacts.

Three dead so far. Folks have lost entire collections, and out money. Why?? Because the chose to deal in, and or steal artifact from public lands.

Non of these people would have been in trouble if they stayed to the basics. It is not yours if you don't have the permission to take it.
This is one of the basic rules of relic hunting that is ignored. It is a line that any one in relic hunting, artifact hunting or treasurer hunting should be able to see.

The result of this mess is that any one out collecting, even if staying in the law will be suspected of looting.

I am sure some folks would not want to hear about this stuff, If you don't; put me on ignore..

If any one reading here is going across that line of the law, Ask your self this;
Are you for an artifact, willing to lose your collection, the money it will cost in fines and an attorney.
Also the not being able to set foot on public lands, and most likely probation. It can get you a felony charge which means you lose rights such as fire arms. It can cost you a great deal

Wrong statement. I tell the kids some thing, when they do stupid things. It only takes once. In this case a there are a few that this is the second time.

rant off.

Yeah , ok, I know it's a tragedy for those involved. I think looters, gravediggers, and unscrupulous hunters should be punished. Laws vary from state to state and the unfortunate act of a few makes everyone look bad. There is a big difference between these people and surface hunters(I'm speaking for myself but feel most here fall into the same boat) that hunt on private land with landowner permission, who are well within their state laws to do what they do. I just don't like how you use this unfortunate event as your personal platform to lecture a broad spectrum of people living under different laws.You're lumping everyone together...who made you the judge on this matter?

OP
OP
L

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
thirty7 said:
lostcauses said:
thirty7 said:

Well Indian artifacts.

rant off.

Yeah , ok, I know it's a tragedy for those involved. I think looters, gravediggers, and unscrupulous hunters should be punished. Laws vary from state to state and the unfortunate act of a few makes everyone look bad. There is a big difference between these people and surface hunters(I'm speaking for myself but feel most here fall into the same boat) that hunt on private land with landowner permission, who are well within their state laws to do what they do. I just don't like how you use this unfortunate event as your personal platform to lecture a broad spectrum of people living under different laws.You're lumping everyone together...who made you the judge on this matter?
How can you feel judged by me if you have done nothing wrong???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread