Two Pretty Good Ones, One What Is It, And A Lesson Learned

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
I looked for 3 hours yesterday in a field that is going to be planted in cucumbers.

These are pretty good.

I'm not sure what this is but it is whole.

Not long after I got there I found a nice axe. It was too large to put in my back pocket so I carried it. When I found the top left point I laid it down to take a picture of the point in the ground and it wasn't until maybe an hour later that it dawned on my I didn't have the axe. I looked and looked but could not find it again. I'll never do that again.

Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! That's a shame about the axe.. I would try one more time to find it:)

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's a tough lesson... I hope you find it at a later time. I am sure it is destined to be yours. Nice finds as always!

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
I'd still be crying about the loss of the axe.

As as for your whatisit I've seen pics in a book called "The Prehistory of Missouri" of points very similar to that one grouped with Madison points. It was the only non triangle in the grouping of I remember right.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I've done that too. I'd "backtrack" my steps until I refound that axe. Hope you find it!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The little one if you are sure its a point it will be a Mississippian period Im sure cause they always made those tiny ones not always pretty just enough to take something down. Im sure you will find the ax another trip.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
go back...i would have slept there! i would still be crying

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you have walked away from the spot, now go back to it & look around. You will remember where it was you took your picture & then you will find your ax. Sometimes just walking away & going back another time helps. I hope you find it.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You keep pulling out some nice ones! Hope to see the axe soon.

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To bad you didn't get a picture of the axe when you found it. Good luck finding the axe and when you do take a picture of it right away, don't lay any points down before you do.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done almost the same thing with other artifacts and the small point looks to be a type of bird point. Great finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread