two regulars.....

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
two regulars.....

finally hit my 1st bank in the new neighborhood....was just dropping off the $60 in halfs from the last post you guys loved so much from this afternoon(63 views and im the only one who responded) anyway hit the penny arcade at commerce and the bag filled....suit came out and said "halfs....was expecting that..." hmmm...strange...anyway i go to the teller and she says "halfs...i heard them when you poured them in"......"are you looking for silver or finishing a coin collection?".....uh oh ...someones been educated....so i asked " do you get a lot of people in here looking for halfs?"...she says "oh yeah and two regulars too"......so is any body here hunting the schwenksville /collegeville area in pa?...just want to know how far your tentacles reach ....not here tostep on anyones toes....just looking for the road less traveled is all.....anyone want to fess up?

Upvote 0
Re: two regulars.....

mistergee said:
finally hit my 1st bank in the new neighborhood....was just dropping off the $60 in halfs from the last post you guys loved so much from this afternoon(63 views and im the only one who responded) anyway hit the penny arcade at commerce and the bag filled....suit came out and said "halfs....was expecting that..." hmmm...strange...anyway i go to the teller and she says "halfs...i heard them when you poured them in"......"are you looking for silver or finishing a coin collection?".....uh oh ...someones been educated....so i asked " do you get a lot of people in here looking for halfs?"...she says "oh yeah and two regulars too"......so is any body here hunting the schwenksville /collegeville area in pa?...just want to know how far your tentacles reach ....not here tostep on anyones toes....just looking for the road less traveled is all.....anyone want to fess up?

Mistergee,

Yes many tellers today know that we are looking for silver in half dollars. That is why I prefer boxes of halves as opposed to hand rolls. Many banks I go to have tellers that will take silver out of hand rolls if they get the chance. If the coins though come from a bank with a coin counting machine, the teller never gets the chance to take them out and they wind up in the boxes.

I saw your earlier post, but for the life of me I still cannot fathom why anyone would waste their time searching for pennies and nickles (I can just barely understand searching for silver dimes, let alone copper and nickel coins). I am glad the addiction has not gotten me that bad yet. LOL!

I guess if you are building a set it is cool. I spend every nickel I find, unless it is a buffalo. I guess I am missing out on some rare issues, but I just dont have time to sift thru them all. CRHing halves eats up too much of my time as it is, but at least I have a decent amount of face value silver to show for it.

Jim

Jim,

I have one hell of a hard time coming across halves. Bank won't order them, and they rarely ahve any avaliable. So, I go for the next best thing! I have done a lot of nickles this week(my first hardcore CRH week), and it is fun. Lots of older coins, and a few silver war nickles. When you cant dig up silver halves, silver nickles aint bad! I dont see why anyone wants to hunt dimes or quarters. The odds seem so low.

Regarding the comments about hunting quarters, dimes and cents.

Here's my take. I started hunting cent bags about 3 years ago after I retired. it was kinda a reminder of the days when I first started with coins and I wanted to see how many date/mint marks of the Lincoln cents I could put together. From circulation I have put together a set of Lincoln cents missing only the 1909S VDB, 1914D, 1922Plain and 1931S.

Including the 36 I got this week (see my post), I've gotten 112 Indian Head cents during the last 3 years.

Two weeks ago I took in the approximately 8800 wheat cents I've accumulated this year. That is 88.00 face value. I got $605.00 for them

In June my bank opened a new branch near my house. It has a bin instead of individual bags by denomination. Since I can't buy coin from them, they have become my dump bank and I've expanded into dimes. Since that time I've pulled 247 silver dimes from bags of coins.

As for quarters, I haven't had a lot of success with them and only occasionally purchase a bag of them.

I saw your earlier post, but for the life of me I still cannot fathom why anyone would waste their time searching for pennies and nickles
think you got me mixed up with someone else....only just started CRH a few weeks ago...and only halfs.....which by the way, i cant seem to find a whole lot...so far $267.00 from checking 9 banks...kinda sucks
In June my bank opened a new branch near my house. It has a bin instead of individual bags by denomination. Since I can't buy coin from them, they have become my dump bank and I've expanded into dimes. Since that time I've pulled 247 silver dimes from bags of coins.
WOW... maybe i should try dimes....thats a good pull in just 3 months....how many rolls or boxes are we talkin here?

like I keep saying, words gotten out, and everyone is a CRHer now days. The problem will correct its self pretty rapidly when halves are as productive as quarters.

mistergee said:
The problem will correct its self pretty rapidly when halves are as productive as quarters.
:icon_scratch: not sure i understand.... :tard:

a bit of whit here ;D

translated: when halves are as non-productive as quarters are non-productive. >:(

I don't think there are too many people CRH around where I am. So far I'm only doing pennies and some nickels, but every bank I go into they are shocked when I ask for a box, or even a few rolls. Today I stopped at a bank I've never been at, and the teller said I was the first person to ever ask him for a box. :o Once winter comes, I'll have more free time, and be able to up my amounts big time, and start doing halfs. Plus within 10 miles, there are a TON of banks to hit up.

daveg13 said:
I don't think there are too many people CRH around where I am. So far I'm only doing pennies and some nickels, but every bank I go into they are shocked when I ask for a box, or even a few rolls. Today I stopped at a bank I've never been at, and the teller said I was the first person to ever ask him for a box. :o Once winter comes, I'll have more free time, and be able to up my amounts big time, and start doing halfs. Plus within 10 miles, there are a TON of banks to hit up.
The CRHer's in your area are probably claiming any halves. You will find out when you try and buy any. Good luck to ya! AMC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back