lostlugnut

Greenie
May 16, 2012
Emerald Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was my fourth time using my excal II and with the storms that were rolling off the gulf over the weekend I thought I would go have a look. Wow the beach is gone. I walked into the water about three feet and was up to my thighs. There was a nice trough about seven feet wide and I started working it to see what there was to see. First two hits were pull tabs. Third hit was a 10k ring that looks like it has amethyst and maybe two small diamonds or cz's. Four feet away was the other ring. I dont know if it is silver but it is non magnetic. We shall see when I get a chance to clean it. Then came the cookie coin. Turns out it was a copper penny that was about two sheets of notebook paper thick.

I hit the end of the trough and the June grass (seaweed) started giving signals. I hit the wet sand and found a spoon, pennies, a key, and a dime.

All in all but I am no longer cherry in the gold dept.

EDIT: Upon further research I believe the diamonds to be real. On the inside of the ring are the following markings 10K and on the other side are Cw... Please let me know if I am wrong. The diamonds are only about 1.5 mm wide and all the stones look amazingly clear.

ForumRunner_20120614_015508.png

ForumRunner_20120614_015522.png

ForumRunner_20120614_015531.png

ForumRunner_20120614_015542.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good start, well done and congratulation!!

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Once you crack that gold barrier, they're easier to find for some reason. It took me months to get my first one... but now it's almost a daily occurance. My current average is a gold or platinum every 2.5 hunts.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
That's really good hunting! The amethyst ring is very pretty :headbang:

I'm quite sure that the ring in the second pic is silver...sure looks to be silver.

Lorraine

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got the gold,your hooted for life,welcome to tnet.Nice ring.:occasion14:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG ON THE GOLD - OTHER LOOKS LIKE SILVER
WOULD KEEP AN I OUT FOR MORE TROUGHS :thumb_up:

OP
OP
lostlugnut

lostlugnut

Greenie
May 16, 2012
Emerald Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at the ring in the second pic a little closer this morning and I think it is pewter. It is bent into an oval and I went to scratch the crusties off the inside with a brass key and it had a dull wavy gray like a lead weight does when you scrape it. It has a mark 103 very deep and bold and then next to it it has what looks like 925. It just seems way to soft. But I have been known to be before ???

Here is a question for the brain trust here. What is the best way to clean this up to see for sure.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring, happiness is finding gold especially if has diamonds or other precious stones. Congrats.
Like your find!!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Congrats! the 925 would indicate silver.

Easiest cleaning for me: A small piece of aluminum foil...set the wet ring sprinkle a bit of salt and wrap up tightly. If you are impatient you can squeeze the package and if it's silver it'll heat up noticeably. Next, place in a small bowl and pour hot water to just cover. You can sniff the process (if you wish..ugh) and silver will give off a rotten egg smell.

After an hour or two. Wash off the black stuff gently with soap...and polish up the silver with baking soda.

SneadsFerryMD

Apr 10, 2012
Sneads Ferry NC
Detector(s) used
Torreseo Sand Shark, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skip the tin foil method, i have had much beter results with electrolsis, all it takes is bending a piece of stainless silverware, 2 gator clips and an old cell charger. The silver comes out looking brand new after a short time. I spent a ton of time trying other methods, and am not going back.

kdog

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job getting the gold DAD happy fathers day

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the better 1/2 is going to love that one,fine day at the beach and good luck with your new weapon

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two favorite color tones are gold and silver! It's nice when you can find them both during the same hunt. Sweetness.....:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread