Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met up with T-Bucket....JDD (Rodney)...and Gary to pound some parks Saturday.

We hunted one park for about 2 hours...and it was slim pickin's. I ended up digging only one coin...but it was a seated which was great. The problem is that it was down almost 8" on edge...and I HACKED it right on the bottom right trying to widen the plug. :-\

After eating lunch...we decided to drive a few miles to another podunk park and give it a shot.

Before long I had me a Roosey from about 7"...and not long after that I hit a Barber dime from about 8" on edge. :thumbsup:

It then occured to me that I had the 3 toughest coins out of the way for the silver dime grand slam. Roosies are usually shallow so they are gone...while Barbers and seateds are deeper and don't pop out often either....so I could surely pop out a merc in the next 2 hours right?? :D

Croduck and JDD had to leave so Gary and I decided to wade through the dense trash at a spot where he thought an old concession stand looked to have been.

Anyway...right off the bat I hit an injun amidst a bunch of junk at about 7".

About 15 minutes later I hit a wheatie....then Gary hit one right next to me.

I continued to wander around in the 20 foot area of trash while Gary wandered towards the front of the stand.

After 30 minutes of digging memorial cents at 9" deep in the trash ??? ....I got a faint high warble out of a dead null and it hit from only one direction. When it hit though...it was sweet. I tried to pinpoint...but the iron sucked the target center more than 2 feet away. ??? I thought "no way I'm passing this up though" because I desparately wanted the merc I needed to hit the silver dime grand slam. :thumbsup: I again swept the coil over the tiny narrow window of the hit...then did the Minelab wiggle...took a chance and dug a huge plug around the area since the pinpoint was rendered useless by the iron.

I dug down about 7" ...and off to the bottom side of the hole is where the probe sang.

I clawed away a little dirt and saw the sweet glint of silver peeking through from straight on edge. :thumbsup:

I handed it to Gary because I am too stubborn to wear my reading glasses when I hunt. I wanted him to give me the news of my silver being a merc after he rubbed it off.

He said..."Well it ain't no Merc". I then babbled a few choice words about being let down because of not hitting the slam :-\ ...but he cut me off...got a half ticked off look on his face ;D ...and said... "it's an 1850something....another seated... you jerk" ;D

My mouth dropped wide open...and I was in complete shock. A seated dime never even entered my mind and I was totally stunned. I now had TWO seated dimes...a barber...a Roosey...but STILL no merc for the slam.

I was now in desperation mode to try and find the much needed merc. I also then called Gary over to hunt the little hot spot with me. He kindly said he didn't want to "cramp" my turf :thumbsup: ...but I insisted. What a STUPID act of kindness on my part...this would turn out to be. ;D

Anyway....the sun was going down so I moved back over to pound the area again that the unexpected seated dime came from....and left Gary about 10 feet away...directly where I had just found a wheatie.

About 5 minutes later...I hear him laughing so I look his way. He has this big gloating smile on his face while he's holding something up for me to see ;D ...and bellows out... "Hey.....Here's the Merc you needed....right where you were 5 minutes ago"
My response to him just flowed right off the end of my tongue...."Thats real nice... you F-ing Jerk". :icon_biggrin:

He got absolutely no congratulations from me :sunny: ...but what he did almost get was...popped in the mug. ;D

He was literally digging right where I had just been. He had the small Minelab coil on... and sniffed out one that I missed with the bigger pro coil. What a freakin' Jerk. ::)

Trust me...I heard about it for the next 30 minutes...all the way up to the point when we left. He could have found 3 seated dimes and it WOULDN'T have meant as much to him as digging up the merc I so desparately needed...and more importantly that I MISSED ...and he FOUND. :tongue3:

I was in a hurry to leave this morning and I forgot to grab my 6 x 8 coil...so all I had was my pro coil. My elbow has been killing me..and I have been using it because it's so light. I need to pick up couple of lower rods and hardware for my SE so I can just keep a small coil for trash....and bigger coil for open areas...already mounted and in my car for use if needed.

It was now dark...and time to leave..but I hated to do so without hunting more for a merc. I fought it for a few minutes and then just finally let it go...so we both headed out.

Wow were the finds few and far between all day...and we worked very hard for them. I ended up with a few wheaties...2 seated dimes (1856 & 1875)...the barber dime...the Roosey...an injun...and NO merc. :wink:

I'm sure Gary had that cocky dumb look on his mug...and was chuckling all the way home. ;D

Attachments

• coins166.jpg
    coins166.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 806
  • coins167.jpg
    coins167.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 803
Upvote 0

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow SF ... finds may have been few and far between but the ones you found were awesome ... that is a nice looking bunch of coins you dug ... most folks would be happy with one seated coin in a lifetime ... you knocked out 2 in one day ... that is phenomenal ... major congratz! Jimmy

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great day Silverfreak. Anytime you find 2 Seateds, a Barber, plus a Rosie, is a heck of a day. :thumbsup: ....................Rich

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerk, huh? :D

Silver!! :o Rosey or not, that was an amazing hunt! 8)

Nana :wink:

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
nice job on the two seated dimes!!! Sorry that you did not get a mercury dime for your silver slam.

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to tear em up Bryce. Nice oldies!

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Nice finds! Probably won't forget the 8x6 next time huh? Anyway, no biggie on the grand slam... there's always tomorrow! ;D

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Bryce, You did better than a slam in my book...instead of a Merc you got something even better and harder to find.

Nice job and great story!
Nat

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one heck of a day. Mercs are a dime a dozen.

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Super hunt Bryce, thanks for including me. I had a good time. Too bad about the slam, but I bet the 2 seated dimes make up for that. You really put it on everyone, at least I found 1 silver. You will get that slam next time. I just talked to T-bucket and his internet is down for a couple days. Sorry he can't Reply. HH
JDD

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow buddy - great story and finds, simply amazing ...

2 seated dimes and a barber ... i'd take any one of those and call it a great day - you got all three

simply awesome

take care,

kevin

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha. But hey, don't lose sight of what's going on here...you got together with a bunch of buds and what you found was better than the grand slam.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
:o Two seateds?
Damn, I'd give up finding 50 mercs, just to find one of those!
Maybe if you find a merc within 24 hours, it stilll counts as a Grand slam! ;D
Incredible hunting, Congrats!

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Very nice post as usuall hope I can get to your calibre one day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread